Follow CBSPHILLY Facebook | Twitter
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Road closures and restrictions on pedestrian movements during a heavy equipment helicopter lift operation in Center City will impact all means of transportation on Sunday. The temporary service changes will be in effect from 4 a.m. till 3 p.m. on Feb. 17.
The impacted streets include:
- John F Kennedy Blvd from N Juniper Street to N 16th Street
- 15th Street from Arch Street to S Penn Square
- N 16th Street from John F Kennedy Blvd to Chestnut Street
- N Juniper Street from Market Street to Filbert Street
- N Broad Street from Arch Street to John F Kennedy Blvd
- S Penn Square from S 15th Street to S Broad Street
- 17th Street from John F Kennedy Blvd to Ludlow Street
- 18th Street from John F Kennedy Blvd to Chestnut Street
- 19th Street from John F Kennedy Blvd to Ludlow Street
- 20th Street from Commerce Street to Chestnut Street
- Ludlow Street from S 21st Street to S 17th Street
- Market Street from N 15th Street to N 21st Street
The adjacent cross streets will also be closed intermittently during this time.
The Streets Department says the road closures allow the safe delivery of heavy equipment and are a standard safety precaution.
Due to the height of the buildings a helicopter will be used to set these units.
The roads are closed to both vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
The street closures create limited access to SEPTA’s street-level entrances and exits for the Broad Street Line and Market-Frankford lines, City Trolley Routes, and Regional Rail at Suburban Station – and 13 bus routes will operate with detours.
Broad Street and Market-Frankford Lines will operate with regularly scheduled service but restrictions will force the closure of most street-level entrances and exits for City Hall and 15th Street Stations.
Customers can access both lines from the City Hall Courtyard head houses and Center City Concourse will remain open. Customers will be able to utilize the free interchange between these lines and City Trolley Routes.
Trolley routes 10, 11, 12, 34, and 36 will bypass 19th Street in both directions and most street-level entrances and exits for 15th Street will be closed. Customers can access the Center City Concourse at 13th and Market Streets or by using the City Hall Courtyard head houses.
Street-level access to Suburban Station will be available only on JFK Boulevard at 16th, 17th, and 18th Streets. Elevator access will be available at the entrance at 16th Street and JFK Boulevard. There will be no impact to Jefferson Station entrances and exits and Regional Rail service will follow normal schedules.
Riders who use SEPTA bus routes in Center City should expect delays and detours. Detours are planned on Routes 2, 4, 16, 17, 27, 31, 32, 33, 38, 44, 48, 124, and 125.
For route-specific details and information related to the service adjustments for Sunday, click here.