By CBS3 Staff

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The gunman who allegedly shot a SEPTA transit officer and three other people in Frankford Wednesday night was fatally shot by police, not by suicide as authorities initially reported, the Philadelphia Police Department confirmed Friday. The new details come following an autopsy completed by the Medical Examiners’ Office.

Police identified the alleged gunman as 18-year-old Zyhiem Hartman.

READ MORE: Philadelphia's Gun Violence Epidemic Continues To Have Devastating Impact On City's Youth

The incident happened near Leiper and Arrott Streets around 7 p.m. Wednesday.

SEPTA identified the officer shot as 28-year-old Ervis Onuzi. Onuzi was shot in the stomach. He was initially listed in critical condition, but he’s now stable.

Onuzi was shot Wednesday after covering another police officer from a gunman who police say had just shot two women.

READ MORE: Here Is Where The Pennsylvania Primary Race For The Senate Seat Stands

Police said the patrolling officers then chased Hartman into an apartment building on the 4700 block of Leiper Street, where the gunman allegedly fired through a second-floor window down below at officers. That’s when police said Onuzi was struck.

Seven Philadelphia police officers exchanged fire with the suspect, according to the department.

Police initially reported Hartman was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on the second floor of the apartment building, but now say officers had fatally shot the suspect.

According to police, Hartman was found with a gunshot wound to his head and also in his shoulder.

MORE NEWS: Recent Coastal Storm Uncovers Historic 'Ghost Tracks' On Higbee Beach In Cape May, And It's Not 1st Time

“The decision to utilize deadly force is the most serious action a police officer can undertake,” Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said. “During this incident, four innocent people were shot. The fact that this occurred in the area of a busy transportation hub and neighborhood makes it even more harrowing. I hope for the full recovery of these four victims, and remain grateful that there were not additional injuries to civilians and responding officers. As with all officer-involved shootings, we will ensure that a thorough, complete and objective investigation takes place.”