Follow CBSPHILLY Facebook  | Twitter

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Americans traveling to most European countries will require an additional step in 2021. U.S. citizens will have to apply for a new travel visa as the European Union is implementing increased security measures.

READ MORE: Pennsbury School Board President Details Violent Threats Made Against Board Members

Beginning on Jan. 21, 2012, all Americans, including minors, will need to register for a European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) visa to travel to a European Schengen-zone country. Non-European Schengen-zone countries include England and Ireland.

Illegal migration and terrorism are behind the new travel visa, according to ETIAS’ website.

N.J. Turnpike Must Provide Evidence To Why It Raised E-Z Pass Violation Fee, Court Rules

READ MORE: 7-Year-Old Boy Killed In Strawberry Mansion Hit-And-Run, Police Say

The ETIAS visas are valid for three years and multiple entries. To apply for one, an American needs a valid passport, credit or debit card and an email account.

According to an European Commission press release, the visa carries a one-time fee of $8, or seven euros.

Under the current laws, Americans are not required to have a visa to travel freely in Europe for 90 days or less.

MORE NEWS: Accused Jefferson University Hospital Shooter Stacey Hayes Found Unfit To Stand Trial

Here is the full list of European countries you’ll need an ETIAS visa to travel to:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland