By Joe Holden

Follow CBSPHILLY Facebook  | Twitter

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A 12-inch water main break in a South Philadelphia neighborhood has caused a huge sinkhole to open up overnight. It happened on the 1200 block of Dickinson Street, around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.

READ MORE: Several People Injured After Tree Falls On Top Of Them During West Philadelphia High School Reunion Party At Fairmount Park

About 60 homes were without running water but crews were able to get service completely restored just after 5 p.m.

It’s was bad good for families planning to prepare Thanksgiving meals for tomorrow.

Like a hawk, Sharon Trivarelli monitored the water department. It’s not clear if she knew a thing or two about control valves or fittings but there she was.

“It’s a setback, but I can deal with it,” she said.

She baked the pound cakes for her three sons last night. But with no water for most of the day, the rest of Thanksgiving prep was in limbo.

“So I’ll start when the water comes on and I’ll bake and cook and make my stuffing and clean my turkey and do it tonight,” said Trivarelli.

READ MORE: 3 Women Shot In Brewerytown Were Targeted Due To Instagram Post: Philadelphia Police

Ann Scola, a crossing guard, says the water department had been out here two days earlier.

“It was terrible, so hard getting the kids by, I was worrying about the kids,” she said.

About Monday, the water department says  that was the first course of their trouble here at 12th and Dickinson

“The street will have to be obviously fully investigated to see what is underground, to see what took place,” said Philadelphia Water Department Spokesman John DiGiulio. “There was already a leak in the street that we were notified of on Monday. We were working with leak protection to try to find that leak. Unfortunately, before we were able to find the exact leak, the street caved in.”

The sinkhole has led to the closure of Dickinson Street at 12th Street and Wharton Street at Broad Street.

MORE NEWS: Phillies Hit 4 Homers In 13-1 Win, Finish Sweep Of Nationals

Officials tell CBS3 that the sinkhole will be backfilled to cover the waterlines but the hole won’t completely go away for about a month.