HARBESON, Del. (CBS) – Police say they have arrested the parents of an infant that died as a result of injuries he sustained in their care.

Authorities say the investigation began on May 23 after a 911 call was made reporting a three-month-old infant was suffering from a seizure and was barely responsive.

READ MORE: Bridgeport Police Department Expecting Large Turnout For Annual National Night Out Event

Emergency crews responded to the home on the 18000 block of Harbeson Road.

The baby was transported to Beebe Healthcare in Lewes before he was taken to A.I. DuPont Children’s Hospital, where officials say he was admitted in critical condition due to broken bones and serious head injury.

Police say after being on life support for five months, Aiden Hundley died on September 22.

Authorities say an autopsy ruled the death a homicide due to blunt force trauma to the head.

Further investigation revealed Aiden suffered several injuries over the course of two months while he was allegedly in the care of his parents.

READ MORE: Raising Cane's Opening 2nd Philadelphia Location Tuesday

Police say the parents could not offer a plausible explanation for Aiden’s injuries.

The infant’s injuries were so severe, they would be obvious to any other caretaker, authorities say.

On December 10, detectives obtained warrants for the arrest of Doyle J. Hundley Jr., 37, and Casey R. Layton, 28.

Police say they were taken into custody and both charged with murder by abuse and endangering the welfare of a child knowingly acting in a manner likely to injure thus causing death.

They were both arraigned and placed in the custody of the Delaware Department of Corrections on $106,000 cash bail only for both.

Police say the couple had another son who has been placed in the care of the Delaware Department of Services for Children, Youth and their Families.

MORE NEWS: Doug Mastriano, Republican Candidate For Pennsylvania Governor, To Appear Before Jan. 6 Committee

The other child did not appear to be harmed.