LOWER SALFORD TWP, Pa. (CBS) — One person is dead and several others are hospitalized after a house fire in Montgomery County.
Officials say the woman who died was trapped in the upstairs room of the two-story house on Skippack Creek Road in Lower Salford Township.READ MORE: Philadelphia Weather: Heat Advisory In Effect As Temperatures Hit Record Highs On Saturday
Authorities say they tried to go in and rescue her, but the floor collapsed and they were forced to pull back.
Officials have identified the victim as 62-year-old Peggy Armato.
Flames broke out in the home around 2 a.m. Monday morning.READ MORE: J.M. Smucker Is Recalling Some Jif Peanut Butter Products Due To Salmonella
Officials say it took nearly two hours for firefighters to place the two alarm fire under control.
“It was clear that there was one woman trapped in the rear of the house,” explained Harleysville Fire Chief Todd Burns. “We attempted to enter the house. When the floors collapsed underneath us, no firefighters were injured, we were able to get out of the house safely, and we were able to move back and do our defensive operations after the floors collapsed.”
The four other residents were taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries.MORE NEWS: Court Rules On Mail Ballots As Senate Race Votes Are Counted
An investigation is ongoing.