PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Magic Johnson wants the Lakers to take a page out of the Sixers’ strategy book. Johnson hopes the Lakers lose, and lose often, in pursuit of a top draft pick.
“I hope the Lakers lose every game,” Johnson said. “Because if you’re going to lose, lose. And I’m serious.”
The 2-18 Sixers are in year two under general manager Sam Hinkie, who has controversially employed a long-term strategy in Philadelphia, in which some would call “tanking.” Johnson agrees with this strategy.
“If you’re going to lose, you have to lose because you can’t be in the middle of the pack,” Johnson said on Tuesday. “You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick.”
Lakers star Kobe Bryant responded to Johnson’s comments.
“Magic is one of the most competitive players of all time,” Bryant said. “He doesn’t want to lose. From an owner’s perspective, his opinion is to get top picks and to be able to use those as leverage to trade and get a competitive team and so on. From where I’m sitting, I just look at his point of view.”
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- 76ers Score 83 In 1st Half, Roll Past Timberwolves 149-107
- Eagles Fans Want Nick Foles Statue At Top Of Art Museum Steps
- The Eagles Stare Into An Uncertain Future After This Season
- Wildwood High School Basketball Player Hits Game-Winning 3 At Buzzer
- ‘Don’t Give Up’: Young Eagles Fan Pens Letter To Eagles Wide Receiver Alshon Jeffery