SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Travis Ishikawa hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning, sending the San Francisco Giants to the World Series with a 6-3 win over the St. Louis Cardinals on Thursday night.
These every-other-year Giants clinched the NL Championship Series in Game 5 and now will face the Royals in an all wild-card Fall Classic that begins Tuesday night in Kansas City.
Pablo Sandoval singled to start the ninth against Michael Wacha, making his first appearance of the postseason for the Cardinals. After an out, Brandon Belt walked to bring up Ishikawa, who drove a 2-0 pitch into the elevated seats in right field.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Sixers Destroy Nets 122-100 In Game 5; Advance To Face Raptors In Second Round
- Phillies Crushed By Mets, 9-0, For 5th Loss In Last 6 Games
- ‘Move On And Do Your Job’: Donovan McNabb Clarifies, Doubles Down On Carson Wentz Comments
- Sixers’ Tobias Harris Nominated For NBA Cares Community Assist Award; Voting Begins Wednesday
- Bryce Harper Gets Tossed In Phillies’ Lackluster 5-1 Loss To Mets