FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a 66-year-old southern New Jersey man was arrested when he showed up for what he thought would be a sexual encounter with a teenage girl.
Monmouth County prosecutors say 66-year-old Richard Jones of Brick tried to persuade a prostitute to “facilitate a meeting” so he could have sex with a girl he thought was 14.
But the teen actually was an undercover police officer.
Jones was arrested Friday when he arrived at the site where prosecutors say he had agreed to meet the girl, but they did not disclose further information on the arrest. He was charged with attempted sexual assault and his bail was set at $125,000 cash.
It wasn’t known Saturday if Jones had retained an attorney. He could face 10 years in prison if convicted.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- ‘They’ve Become Like Family’: Unexpected Tragedy Brings Two Families Together
- ‘I Wanted Grace To Go Away’: Mother Testifies Against Boyfriend In Rape, Murder Of Adopted Teen Daughter Grace Packer
- School Official Tells High School Students Hitler Was ‘Good Leader’ During Presentation
- ‘It’s Going To Be Fun’: Tyler Perry Bringing ‘Madea’s Farewell’ Tour To The Met In Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Firefighter Dies After Suffering Medical Emergency While On Duty At Philadelphia International Airport