FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a 66-year-old southern New Jersey man was arrested when he showed up for what he thought would be a sexual encounter with a teenage girl.
Monmouth County prosecutors say 66-year-old Richard Jones of Brick tried to persuade a prostitute to “facilitate a meeting” so he could have sex with a girl he thought was 14.
But the teen actually was an undercover police officer.
Jones was arrested Friday when he arrived at the site where prosecutors say he had agreed to meet the girl, but they did not disclose further information on the arrest. He was charged with attempted sexual assault and his bail was set at $125,000 cash.
It wasn’t known Saturday if Jones had retained an attorney. He could face 10 years in prison if convicted.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
You may also be interested in these stories:
- ‘Drugged Driving’: Opioid Epidemic Presents Growing, Ever-Present Danger On The Roads
- ‘Something Has To Change’: Police, Community Come Together To Combat Teen Gun Violence In Southwest Philadelphia
- Experts Warn Of Future Hate Crimes Possibly Being ‘Second-Guessed’ After Jussie Smollett Case
- 16-Year-Old Boy Shot On Grays Ferry Basketball Court, Police Say
- New Jersey Proposal Could Keep President Trump Off 2020 Presidential Ballot