By Jan Carabeo and Matt Rivers
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A woman pumping gas was injured when a car slammed into her car, knocking over a gas pump late Thursday night in the Kensington section of Philadelphia.
This happened just before 11:30 p.m. at the Sunoco station located at Somerset Street and Aramingo Avenue.
CBS3 Eyewitness News learned a driver mistook their gas pedal for their brake pedal and T-boned the car of 21-year-old Jacklyn Lopez, which led to a gas pump turning over and igniting a big fire.
The victim’s cousin says, “She was turning the cap to get in the car and then the other car just came.” She adds, “I’m very upset about the situation but at the same time relieved because she is alive.”
The victim suffered severe burns and was taken to Temple Hospital where she is in the intensive care unit.
A witness, Carlos Diaz, says,”She made it out on time but she was still on fire for a couple of seconds.”
The victim’s three-year-old daughter was in the car when the accident happened, but she was rescued by a quick-thinking Good Samaritan who kicked the window open. Her daughter is said to be okay and with her father.
Jessy Davis recounts what he saw, “She kept screaming my baby is in there and he kicks the window in and gets the baby out.”
The gas station did open on time Friday morning at 5 a.m., but major repairs are now needed, including the gas pump which is still on its side.
An investigation continues, but since it was an accident charges are not expected to be filed.
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend Following North Philadelphia Barricade Situation
- Goats Used To Reduce Wildfire Risk In Colorado By Eating Leaves
- Police: Man Traveling To Jamaica Caught With 42 Bags Of Heroin At Philadelphia International Airport
- Border Patrol Agents Are Stopping People On New England Highways To Check Their Citizenship
- Suspects Plead Guilty In Murder Of Philadelphia Police Sgt. Robert Wilson III
- Video: Kangaroo Interrupts, Delays Australian Soccer Match
- Woman Dubbed As ‘Permit Patty’ Threatens To Call Police On 8-Year-Old Girl Selling Water For Disneyland Trip
- Zsa Zsa, The English Bulldog, Wins World’s Ugliest Dog Title
- Father Fatally Shot While Camping With Two Young Daughters At State Park
- Coast Guard On Heightened Alert After Plane Lands On Cape May Beach, Pilot Seen Running Away