By Melony Roy
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A new Budweiser promotion claims “Beer is the original social network,” so it’s teaming up with the world’s largest social network to help bridge the physical and digital world. However, in Pennsylvania, there are some restrictions.
Beer giant Anheuser-Busch and Facebook are testing online sales and gifting of Budweiser and Bud Light with two new promotions.
The Buds for Buds program lets you buy a friend a Budweiser and the Bud Light Birthday promotion lets you earn a friend a free Bud Light on their birthday using Facebook posts.
Adults 21 and older can send an online voucher to a friend via Facebook and the voucher is redeemable at participating bars and restaurants.
Dennis O’Connor, owner of Kelliann’s Bar in Philadelphia says it’s not a bad idea.
“I’m sure you have to buy a Budwiser or Bud Light,” he says, “so for them it would be good business and for the bar, I guess, if they’re bringing their friends here, so it sounds like a win win situation for both sides to me.”
But the law in Pennsylvania is one free drink per person, per day, according to state police.
Online food and beverage gift service Gratafy is handling the purchase and redemption process.
The program has already been rolled out in Chicago and Denver, with the goal of rolling out the program nationwide next year.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- 2 Men Arrested After Apparent Shootout, Police Chase In South Philadelphia
- 14-Year-Old Girl Shot In Face While Staying At Friend’s House In Rhawnhurst, Say Philadelphia Police
- Driver’s Vehicle Stolen At Gunpoint At Gas Station In Bensalem: Police
- National Constitution Center Celebrates Presidents’ Day With Activities, Free Admission
- Police Searching For Man Accused Of Stealing From Multiple Parked Cars In South Philadelphia