By Melony Roy
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A new Budweiser promotion claims “Beer is the original social network,” so it’s teaming up with the world’s largest social network to help bridge the physical and digital world. However, in Pennsylvania, there are some restrictions.
Beer giant Anheuser-Busch and Facebook are testing online sales and gifting of Budweiser and Bud Light with two new promotions.
The Buds for Buds program lets you buy a friend a Budweiser and the Bud Light Birthday promotion lets you earn a friend a free Bud Light on their birthday using Facebook posts.
Adults 21 and older can send an online voucher to a friend via Facebook and the voucher is redeemable at participating bars and restaurants.
Dennis O’Connor, owner of Kelliann’s Bar in Philadelphia says it’s not a bad idea.
“I’m sure you have to buy a Budwiser or Bud Light,” he says, “so for them it would be good business and for the bar, I guess, if they’re bringing their friends here, so it sounds like a win win situation for both sides to me.”
But the law in Pennsylvania is one free drink per person, per day, according to state police.
Online food and beverage gift service Gratafy is handling the purchase and redemption process.
The program has already been rolled out in Chicago and Denver, with the goal of rolling out the program nationwide next year.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- All Ben Franklin Bridge Lanes Back Open After Restrictions Caused Delays During Morning Commute
- Teen Girl Shot By Stray Bullet While Walking To Central High School, Police Say
- Psychologist: Cosby Has Uncontrollable Urge To Violate Young Women, Would Probably Commit Another Offense
- Woman’s 20-Pound Ovarian Cyst Removed 5 Years After First Doctor’s Appointment
- Philadelphia Man Helping In Animal Rescue Efforts In North Carolina