PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The NCAA announced on Monday, that “due to Penn State University’s significant progress ensuring its athletics department functions with integrity, the NCAA Executive Committee today eliminated the school’s postseason ban, effective immediately, and will return the full complement of football scholarships in 2015-16.”READ MORE: 17-Year-Old Latif Williams Turns Self In For Alleged Murder Of Temple Student Samuel Collington
The committee’s decision comes after Senator George Mitchell’s latest report, also released on Monday.
“Penn State’s commitment to the integrity of its athletics department and its progress toward meeting the requirements of the Consent Decree are clear,” said Northern Arizona President Rita Hartung Cheng. “We thank Senator Mitchell for his meticulous and exhaustive work over the past two years. Mitchell’s efforts and the dedication of Penn State officials made today’s decisions possible.”
Also, the Big Ten Conference announced it has restored Penn State’s ability to play in the Big Ten Football Championship.
Former Penn State head coach, now with the Houston Texans, was addressing the media today following a win to start his NFL head coaching career.READ MORE: Off-Duty Police Officer Shot Multiple Times In North Philadelphia, Police Say
“Great education, great football program, a lot of great people have done a lot of great things over there,” O’Brien said about Penn State’s postseason ban being removed. “That’s a special place. I feel very happy for Penn State.”
Penn State is 2-0 in their first season under new head coach James Franklin. Penn State is at Rutgers on Saturday, at 8:00pm E.T.
UPDATE: Penn State students gathered on campus on Monday night for a rally to celebrate the news that broke earlier in the day. The Daily Collegian reported that the rally had a “happy atmosphere.”
MORE NEWS: Jayson Tatum Leads Celtics Past 76ers, 88-87
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
[display-posts category=”sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]