WASHINGTON (AP) — Adam LaRoche homered twice, and the Washington Nationals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 3-2 on Sunday to avoid a series sweep.
Scott Hairston hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly off Philadelphia ace Cole Hamels in the sixth inning. Hairston started in place of Bryce Harper because of his stellar numbers against the left-hander.
Gio Gonzalez (8-9) allowed two runs in six-plus innings for the Nationals, who had lost five straight against the Phillies. Washington pushed its NL East lead over Atlanta back to seven games.
Drew Storen pitched a perfect ninth for his second save, a day after manager Matt Williams said he had removed Rafael Soriano from the closer role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Bryce Harper Gets Tossed In Phillies’ Lackluster 5-1 Loss To Mets
- ‘She Was A Wonderful Patriot’: Former Flyers Executive Says Kate Smith Statue Should Not Have Been Removed Amid Racism Allegations
- Mock Draft Round-Up: Who Should The Eagles Pick At No. 25?
- Donovan McNabb: I Have ‘No Beef’ With Carson Wentz
- Miles Sanders On Potentially Playing For The Eagles: ‘I’d Be Cool With It’