WASHINGTON (AP) — Adam LaRoche homered twice, and the Washington Nationals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 3-2 on Sunday to avoid a series sweep.
Scott Hairston hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly off Philadelphia ace Cole Hamels in the sixth inning. Hairston started in place of Bryce Harper because of his stellar numbers against the left-hander.
Gio Gonzalez (8-9) allowed two runs in six-plus innings for the Nationals, who had lost five straight against the Phillies. Washington pushed its NL East lead over Atlanta back to seven games.
Drew Storen pitched a perfect ninth for his second save, a day after manager Matt Williams said he had removed Rafael Soriano from the closer role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Young Bucks On Turning Down WWE, Plans For All Elite Wrestling
- Eagles’ Alshon Jeffery Surprises 2nd-Grade Class Of Young Girl Who Wrote Him Viral Supportive Letter
- NFL Championship Picks: Rams, Patriots To Win On The Road
- Sean Couturier Has Hat Trick, Flyers Beat Bruins 4-3
- ‘Bouts On Broad’: Boxing Matches Return To The Met