WASHINGTON (AP) — Adam LaRoche homered twice, and the Washington Nationals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 3-2 on Sunday to avoid a series sweep.
Scott Hairston hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly off Philadelphia ace Cole Hamels in the sixth inning. Hairston started in place of Bryce Harper because of his stellar numbers against the left-hander.
Gio Gonzalez (8-9) allowed two runs in six-plus innings for the Nationals, who had lost five straight against the Phillies. Washington pushed its NL East lead over Atlanta back to seven games.
Drew Storen pitched a perfect ninth for his second save, a day after manager Matt Williams said he had removed Rafael Soriano from the closer role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Temple Football Recruit Says He Was Kicked Off High School Team Because He’s Homeless
- Wentz: ‘It Will Come Second Nature Once I’m Out There’
- Eagles Sign Wide Receiver Jordan Matthews
- Michael Jordan Donates $2 Million For Florence Relief And Recovery Aid
- Alfaro’s HR Overshadows Matz’s Big Night; Phillies Top Mets