PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Two potential destinations have emerged as possible landing spots for Phillies’ pitcher A.J. Burnett. A pair of reports link Burnett to the Baltimore Orioles and the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Jon Morosi of Fox Sports reported over the weekend that the Phillies and the Orioles had “very preliminary talks,” involving Burnett. The Orioles currently have Ubaldo Jimenez on the disabled list which could give them one too many arms once he returns if they acquire Burnett.
For that reason, the Orioles do not appear willing to give up too much for Burnett.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the Pirates have also emerged as a candidate to trade for Burnett. He won 27 games for the Pirates in 2012 and 2013 and the team could use his services with Gerrit Cole on the disabled list.
Gelb reported that a scout for the Pirates watched Burnett’s Friday start in Atlanta, “not on his normal coverage.”
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- 2018 NBA DRAFT: Villanova’s Mikal Bridges, Donte DiVincenzo, Omari Spellman, Jalen Brunson Get Picked
- 2018 NBA DRAFT: Twitter Erupts After Sixers Select, Trade Nova’s Mikal Bridges
- NBA DRAFT: Sixers Select And Trade Villanova’s Mikal Bridges To Suns For Texas Tech’s Zhaire Smith
- World’s First Robot-Assisted Spinal Surgery Performed In Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Flyers Release 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule