PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Chip Kelly went 10-6 and lead the Eagles to an NFC East title in his first-season as head coach. Nevertheless, In a new rankings list released on Monday, NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison listed the Eagles second-year coach as only the 18th best NFL head coach.
Harrison only praised Kelly in his commentary of the coach, so one can assume the grade is largely based on Kelly’s minimal track record. However, for a coach who improved his team’s win total by six games from the previous season, implemented a totally new system with a new quarterback, finished the season with the No. 2 ranked offense in the NFL, and earned himself a home playoff game—track-record aside—18th seems rather low.
The No. 1 coach on the list is Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots, while Sean Payton (NO), Jim (SF) and John Harbaugh (BAL), and Tom Coughlin (NYG) round out the top-five.
Other coaches ranked ahead of Kelly include Mike McCarthy (GB), Mike Smith (ATL), Bruce Arians (ARZ), Love Smith (CHI), Marvin Lewis (CIN), Chuck Pagano (IND), and yes, Andy Reid (KC).
Full list here.
You may also be interested in these Sports stories:
- 2018 NBA Draft: Wheeling-And-Dealing Brett Brown Confuses Sixers Nation
- World’s First Robot-Assisted Spinal Surgery Performed In Philadelphia
- 2018 NBA DRAFT: Villanova’s Mikal Bridges, Donte DiVincenzo, Omari Spellman, Jalen Brunson Get Picked
- 2018 NBA DRAFT: Twitter Erupts After Sixers Select, Trade Nova’s Mikal Bridges
- 2018 NBA DRAFT: Sixers Select And Trade Villanova’s Mikal Bridges To Suns For Texas Tech’s Zhaire Smith