By Elizabeth Hur

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The man accused of shooting a Philadelphia police officer is out of the hospital and behind bars.

Eric Torres, 31, left Einstein Medical Center Wednesday afternoon and was taken to Police Headquarters where he was formally charged with Attempted Murder.

We have also learned from sources, Torres is now being questioned in the murder of a man in the 2800 block of N. Lawrence Street on June 18th.

As for Officer Edward Davies, he remains in critical condition in a medically induced coma after being shot in the abdomen during a confrontation with Torres in Hunting Park on Tuesday.

All day Wednesday, fellow officers stopped by the hospital and maintained a vigil with Officer Davies’ family. Wednesday night, we heard from one woman who understands and appreciates this brotherhood and knows the family’s pain all too well.

“I will never forget that for as long as I live,” Mindy Marynowitz said.

For Mindy, her life changed forever in 1993 with a door knock on June 16th.

Mindy explained, “He was shot in the head and shot in the chest, the bullet is still lodged in his brain.”

Her husband, Officer John Marynowitz is permanently disabled and his partner Officer Robert Hayes was killed. Both were shot in the line of duty.

“That’s what happened yesterday, someone should not have been on the street and they were. You, in turn, relive the experience you went through,” Mindy said.

Mindy is the first to tell you, she will never pretend to know the pain Officer Edward Davies’ wife and family must endure but the circumstances between the two incidents are eerily similar, she says she’s left wondering and asking just one question.

“Why would someone be in and out of jail twelve times?” Mindy said.

Like Davies, Marynowitz had six years on the job. Both had children just two-years-old at home and both shootings occurred following a traffic stop. The gunman in Marynowitz case was a convicted felon as is the case this time around for Davies: 31-year-old Eric Torres with 12 prior arrests, five for attacking officers.

“Now he has ruined another family. Our family is keeping the Davies family in our prayers. Sometimes, it’s one minute at a time, on hour at a time then one day at a time. The only thing you have is faith,” Mindy said.

Meanwhile, in addition to providing prayers, police are now hoping the public will participate in a blood drive.

Over the next two days, the police will sponsor a blood drive in Davies’ name.

Members of the general public can go to Red Cross Donation Centers over the next two days at 700 Spring Garden and 1401 Rhawn Street to donate.

Watch & Listen LIVE