LOWER MERION, Pa., (CBS) – Three people were injured following a gas leak and fire at Rosemont College in Montgomery County Wednesday afternoon.
The incident was reported at about 4 p.m. at 1400 Montgomery Avenue in Lower Merion Township.READ MORE: Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw Claims She's Not Resigning, Despite Rumors Saying She Might Become New York City's Top Cop
Construction crews have been on Rosemont College’s campus installing new fields, one for lacrosse and soccer, the other for softball but authorities say they hit a snag.
A spokesman for Lower Merion Township says one of the contractors, working with a drilling truck, was installing a light post when they struck a gas main.
That sparked flames and firefighters and PECO responded to the scene.
PECO shut off gas to two buildings at the school as crews battled the blaze.READ MORE: Man Shot During Attempted Double Carjacking In Holmesburg Section, Police Say
Officials say three victims suffered minor burns. Two of them were taken to Temple University Hospital, the other refused treatement.
According to Rosemont College, night classes at the Rosemont campus were canceled.
All evening classes at the Rosemont Downtown will take place as scheduled.
Rosemont College spokesperson Karen Creely released the following statement:
“The Rosemont College Community is grateful that the gas fire caused by construction on Rosemont’s campus has now been extinguished. The gas fire was located on the construction site of the College’s new $2 million Athletic Complex, due to be complete later this month. We owe much to the Bryn Mawr Fire Company, the Ardmore Fire Company, the Lower Merion Police Department, PECO, Rosemont’s Public Safety Officers and all those who helped restore safety to our campus. The Rosemont Community wishes a speedy recovery to the 3 individuals who sustained minor injuries in the accident.”MORE NEWS: 'It Would Destroy My Emotions To Not Come Back': Parents, Students Speak Out Against Philadelphia School District's Lottery Process