FAIR LAWN, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey man remained hospitalized Tuesday after he was bitten by his pet snake.
Fair Lawn police said 25-year-old Eric Bortz bought the albino Monocled Cobra, an eastern diamondback rattlesnake and a copperhead snake in Pennsylvania on Monday and thought their venom sacks had been removed.READ MORE: Abortion Rights Advocates Gather For Bans Off Our Bodies Protest In Philadelphia After SCOTUS Overturned Roe v. Wade
Sgt. Rich Schultz said the cobra bit Bortz on Monday night after he reached into its container to feed it or otherwise handle it.
After Bortz began to experience severe respiratory problems, he was taken to St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Paterson and then to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, N.Y., which has a snakebite treatment center.
Schultz said Bortz’s wife told him Tuesday that her husband wasn’t able to speak but that he was responding to her non-verbally.READ MORE: 11 Separate Shootings In Philadelphia Leave 2 Dead, 10 Others Injured: Police
An animal control officer removed the snakes from the home Tuesday and they were being examined by the state’s Division of Fish and Wildlife.
According to Schultz, state and local authorities were looking into the purchase of the snakes and whether the seller violated any laws.
“The concern right now is removing the snakes and hoping this guy recovers,” he said.
Schultz didn’t identify the seller or where the snakes were purchased.MORE NEWS: Brandywine Valley SPCA, Other Shelters Holding Mega Adoption Event This Weekend
(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)