Engaged Couple Victims Of Double Shooting In Oxford Circle
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Police are investigating a shooting that critically wounded an engaged couple in Northeast Philadelphia.
It happened around 11:30 p.m. Monday in the 6500 block of Castor Avenue in the city’s Oxford Circle neighborhood.
Police say responding officers arrived to find a man and a woman lying next to each other in the street suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. According to police, the 55-year-old man was shot three times in his abdomen and his 43-year-old fiancé was shot nine times in her abdomen, legs and feet.
“It appears that our shooter was in very close proximity, ” said Chief Inspector Scott Small. “The ballistic evidence is just several feet away from where both of these victims were laying side by side on the street, so we know that the shooter fired these shots from point-blank range.”
Both victims were rushed to Aria Torresdale Hospital in critical condition.
Authorities believe the shooter fled on foot to a home along the 6100 block of Algon Avenue. Police searched the area and found a semi-automatic gun which they say appears to be the weapon used in the shooting.
No initial arrests were made, but investigators were searching surveillance video from several businesses in the area of the shooting.
Police also say the motive for the shooting was unknown.
The incident was the first of two double shootings in Northeast Philadelphia in the span of about one hour.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Study Finds Almost 20 Percent Of Female College Freshmen Victims Of Attempted Rape
- Annual ‘Safe Schools Summit’ Focuses On Crowd Safety For Upcoming Papal Visit
- $10K Reward Offered In South Philadelphia Sex Assaults
- AC Casino Conference: U.S. Gambling Market Saturated, Yet Casinos Keep Coming
- Activists Conduct Bus Tour Along Jersey Shore Of Areas Still Suffering From Hurricane Sandy