PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Police are investigating a shooting that critically wounded an engaged couple in Northeast Philadelphia.
It happened around 11:30 p.m. Monday in the 6500 block of Castor Avenue in the city’s Oxford Circle neighborhood.
Police say responding officers arrived to find a man and a woman lying next to each other in the street suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. According to police, the 55-year-old man was shot three times in his abdomen and his 43-year-old fiancé was shot nine times in her abdomen, legs and feet.
“It appears that our shooter was in very close proximity, ” said Chief Inspector Scott Small. “The ballistic evidence is just several feet away from where both of these victims were laying side by side on the street, so we know that the shooter fired these shots from point-blank range.”
Both victims were rushed to Aria Torresdale Hospital in critical condition.
Authorities believe the shooter fled on foot to a home along the 6100 block of Algon Avenue. Police searched the area and found a semi-automatic gun which they say appears to be the weapon used in the shooting.
No initial arrests were made, but investigators were searching surveillance video from several businesses in the area of the shooting.
Police also say the motive for the shooting was unknown.
The incident was the first of two double shootings in Northeast Philadelphia in the span of about one hour.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Protesters Breach DNC Security Fence, Phila. Police Commissioner Calls Attempt ‘Ridiculous’
- President Obama Backs Clinton During DNC: ‘No One More Qualified’
- VP Nominee Tim Kaine Impersonates Donald Trump At DNC: ‘Believe Me’
- Large Snake On Loose In Gloucester County Found, Returned To Owner
- Bloomberg Attacks Trump At DNC: ‘The Richest Thing About Trump Is His Hypocrisy’