Nutter Looks At New Taxes To Help Avert Philadelphia School Budget Crisis

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Mayor Michael Nutter is looking to revive his failed plan to tax sodas, and to raise rates for on-street parking, in order to help bail out the School District of Philadelphia from a deficit topping $600 million.

Mayor Nutter huddled behind closed doors with City Council leaders for about an hour this morning as they grapple with the School District’s request for more than $100 million in additional city aid (see related story).

Nutter is hoping to get City Council on board with a combination of a property tax increase, a tax on sugary beverages, and a hike in on-street parking rates.

“Various combinations of those would address the size of the financial problem that we’re looking at,” he told reporters.

But councilmembers rejected his soda tax last idea year (see related story) and are hesitant to raise property taxes one year after a nearly 10-percent hike (related story).

“I don’t have a solution,” says GOP leader Brian O’Neill, who opposes both tax proposals, “but I do know that people are overtaxed.”

Fellow GOP councilman Frank Rizzo says that in light of the school district’s plight, they’ll revisit the idea of a soda tax.
“I would assume that there’s going to be a lot of people reconsidering positions that they took in the past,” he told KYW Newsradio.

Nutter and Council hope to resolve this before Council adjourns its spring session on June 16th.  Some councilmembers tend to favor simply shifting more of existing revenues to the district, rather than raise taxes, but Nutter says that would impact other city services.

The district is attempting to close a deficit put at $629 million and is hoping for more city and state aid.

Councilman Curtis Jones, a Democrat, hopes that as the politicians wrangle the school kids don’t suffer.

“There’s a high stakes poker game going on with the schools, the city, and Harrisburg,” he said. “And at the end of the day, we don’t want the kids to be the casualty.”

Reported by KYW City Hall Bureau chief Mike Dunn

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Francis Graff says:

This is not the face of a man who is supposed to be a leader. Mr. Mayor, why are you spinning your wheels, you are a Wharton school Grad. Admit it, you don’t control your city council, and that is why you meet behind closed doors. Be a leader, attack them in our presence, and maybe they will change their thinking. I would tell them, get off the pottie, or I’ll make you go in the woods.

1. Anonymous says:

Replace the ‘pottie’ with a fire ant mound. That ought to learn ’em. LOL

2. quit stealing my money says:

Come buy your soda and gas in NJ! Start random drug testing of all city employees. If you fail youre fired. Money saved is taxes not raised.

3. Patrick Sweeney says:

I suggested before to charge $1.00 per person that goes to the city pools for the season. They say it costs 400,000.00 to run the pools. At least 1,000,000 people go there, that’s 600,000.00 profit to somewhere else. I was told that’s not enough money. I think it’s a he?? of a start.

1. Anonymous says:

Charging $1.00 per person is a great idea. I totally agree with that. There should also be a “strike” rule. Not 3 strikes, but 2 strikes, you’re out. Meaning, if you misbehave once, you get a warning. If you misbehave a second time, you can no longer use the pool for the remainder of the season. The lifeguards and pool personnel are NOT babysisters and are NOT responsible for the children. They should ALWAYS be accompanied by an adult. While my son, 10, was inside swimming, I was just outside the gate where he could see me watching him. So, if anything happened, I was right there and no one would have to call me at home to come around there.

4. JFP says:

The brotha’s and da sista’s are raping the city in city hall and the beasts that are roaming just about everywhere with bank holdups, armed robberies,home invasions and blighting and destroying every nieghborhood they touch.I ‘m stuck here for now and really hate this cesspool city.

5. Times up says:

THE SLOGAN FOR THE REPUBLICANS THISFALL

“WE DON,T WANT A NUTTER”

6. Times Up says:

The Slogan for the Republicans this fall

“WE DON’T WANT A NUTTER”

7. Jane says:

Ms Ackerman & her staff that make more than $100,000 a year should all take pay cuts. The poor budgeting of the school system should not be passed on to us. They have to be more frugal, just like everyone else. They know how much they are budgeted but continue to go over it. If we can’t pay our bills ther isn’t anyone to bail us out, why do we have to bail them out? I don’t have children in the public school system, so why must I continue to pay more to support it?

8. Givmeh20 says:

Hey Mr. Mayor, HOW ABOUT GETTING RID OF ALL YOUR DEPUTY MAYORS AND ALL YOUR POLITICAL JUNK POLITICAL PAYBACK CRONIES! NOW GET RID OF THE DUPLICATION OF SOCIAL DEADWOOD BENEFITS! GET RID OF ALL CONTRACTS TO NON PROPHET ORGS THAT DO THE JOB OF DHS AND OTHER SOCIAL DEADWOOD PROGRAMS! PRIVATIZE THE SCHOOL SYSTEM, ACKERMAN IS A JOKE! THE SODA TAX YOU WANT TO IMPOSE WILL ONLY HURT THE SAME PEOPLE YOU ARE TRYING TO SAVE! YOU LIBS CRACK ME UP! DO ALL THE AFOREMENTION YOU WILL HAVE A SURPLUS FOR THE CITY CONTRACTS AND THEN SOME! I DIDN’T EVEN GET INTO CUTTING TAXES! 1 MORE THING, YOUR GREEN ITIATIVE AND RECYCLING IS A DRAIN! RECYCLING LEAVES ME WITH JUST THE PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG ( WHICH IS RECYLABLE) SO WHY DON’T YOU JUST HAVE US PUT ALL OUR GARBAGE INTO 1 PLASTIC BAG WITHOUT FINES! EVERY $ I MAKE IN THE CITY, I FORK OVER ABOUT .60 ON THAT $ HERE IN THE CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE! BROTHER MAYOR CAN YOU SPARE SOME TAXES SO I CAN GIVE MORE BACK TO MY FAMILY! ANGRY CITIZEN!

9. Angelo says:

The Democrats have run this city into the ground. Time to cut fat, get rid of the dead wood. Let’s get a Republican in there to reduce the size of government. You will have businesses come back to the city, and a cut in the city wage tax. AND unemployment will fall in the city.

It is time for a change in the way we think in this city. The democrates are NOT getting the job done.

10. Angelo says:

Here’s a plan, cut your administration in half, or reduce all administrative salaries in half. You will find a lof of money there, and you will be able to decrease the city wage tax. Get rid of the incompetent knuckles heads in municipal government, instead of raising the taxes on the citizens of the city. It is time for a Republican Mayor.

11. Tom says:

The first thing he should be looking at are all the OVER PAID DRONESgetting all kinds of perks such as city cars that are used mostly for personal use,NO ONE SHOULD HAVE A CAR AT THE TAX PAYER EXPENSE THEY CAN TAKE A BUS OR CAB AND TURN IN THE RECIEPT TO GET REIMBERSED THAT ALONE WILL SAVE MILLIONS CONSIDERING THE MONEY IT COST FOR INSURANCE & MAINTAINANSE.tHE SALERYS THESE PEOPLE IS ABSOLETLY OUTRAGIOUS.What a stupid man running my city

12. Mr. Bean says:

Why don’t we tax alchohol, bars, and all of the other “anti-educational” vices this city has to offer. We could also tax hotels and casinos.

1. Idiot. They already do that. They just burn through that money too.

2. grumpy says:

Good point, if they would jump these type of taxes as much as they have jumped the cigarette taxes it would bring in a wind fall. PA has one of the lowest taxes on beer of any state………..go figure?

13. Tiffany Green says:

All they know how to do is tax and ban roof decks. We can tax ROOF DECKS so people will think twice before jumping down to next door’s roof to rob them.

ROOF DECK TAX

PHA roof deck plan for the workin class, if we aint gots one, yous ain’t getting one.

14. Francis Graff says:

“Behind Closed Doors” and it’s not Charley Rich I’m talking about. You and your council are making my candidacy very possible Mike. See you in November.

15. bob says:

Curtis Jones is my city council member. If he votes for new taxes, of any kind, I have 100 votes for the other guy, no matter who it is, and we will remember Curtis Jones voted for more taxes.

Comments are closed.