Tale of the tape
Week 4: Minnesota Vikings At Detroit Lions
|The Vikings are off to a surprising 2-1 start thanks in large part to the improvement of Christian Ponder at quarterback. While he is known for his athleticism, Ponder is playing with poise, know-how and confidence early in the season.||Quarterback||Matthew Stafford was forced to the bench after suffering a leg muscle strain vs. the Titans, but it seems that he has a good chance to play vs. the Vikings. Backup Shaun Hill was sensational in relief, but the Lions are better with Stafford’s strong arm and quick release than they are with “hot” No. 2 quarterback.|
|While the play of Ponder may be surprising for the Vikings, the running game is in the hands of one of the most dependable players in the league in Adrian Peterson. Wide receiver Percy Harvin has the natural gifts needed to star at the position, but his know-how and desire have helped make him a go-to guy. The offensive line is solid and getting better each week.||Offense||The Lions probably have the most unstoppable wide out in the league in Calvin Johnson. The loss in Week Three to the Titans will set him up for a big effort. Nate Burleson is rapidly becoming one of the best No. 2 receivers in the league.|
|The Vikings are starting to take on the personality of head coach Leslie Frazier and defensive coordinator Alan Williams. They are tough and nasty and will not let opponents run on them. Defensive Jared Allen is still one of the best pass rushers in the league.||Defense||The Lions are looking forward to getting back home because the defense looked lost on the road against Tennessee. The Lions need to tackle better than they have so far early in the season. That means the LB crew, led by Stephen Tulloch has to better. The secondary is quite leaky at this point.|
|The Vikings are getting a huge boost from placekicker Blair Walsh, who has made 7-of-7 field goal attempts, including a 55-yarder. Punter Chris Kluwe has a solid leg and he averaged 45.2 yards per punt vs. the 49ers.||Special Teams||The Lions are coming off a special teams disaster against the Titans. They gave up a punt return for a touchdown in the first quarter and a kickoff return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. Placekicker Jason Hanson is stable.|
The winner is
More Tales of the tape
NCAA Championship Game: #1 Louisville Vs. #4 Michigan
Rick Pitino has been here before, after making his 7th Final Four appearance, he’s now in his third go-round in the title game. He’s got plenty of experience on the big stage and he has the Cardinals playing high level basketball at the right time.
NCAA Tournament Championship Weekend: #4 Michigan Vs. #4 Syracuse
No. 4 Michigan and No. 4 Syracuse square off in Atlanta this weekend with the winner getting a shot to play for the National Title.
NCAA Tournament Championship Weekend: #1 Louisville Vs. #9 Wichita State
Rick Pitino and No. 1 Louisville take on No. 9 Wichita State in Atlanta this weekend for a shot to play in the National Title game on Monday.
- New Pantry Program Provides Fresh, Healthy Food To Those In Need
- Man In Critical Condition After Port Richmond Stabbing
- Christie Can Set NJ Election Date, Lawyers Argue
- Philadelphia Man Finds Sinkhole Filled With Green Ooze
- Sea Isle City Residents Prove They’re Stronger Than Sandy As Rebuilding Efforts Continue
- Most Romantic US Honeymoon... GHI @Home - Metal Shingle /... 11th Annual Gary Papa 5K Run-... Athletes We Wish Stayed In...
- Tiger Woods At The US Open At... Final Round: The U.S. Open At... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Behind the Scenes: TP...
- Orr At The Shore 2013 NCC Retro-Rama Party The Philadelphia Diamonds Of... 2013 US Open At Merion
- Storm Photos: June 13, 2013 WIP Morning Show Father's Day... US Open At Merion Practice... Julius Erving Through The...