A Philadelphia woman is asking Family Court to award her custody of her nieces in a case that her advocates say shows the city is biased against poor women.
Instead of having both DHS and outside case workers assigned to a child welfare case, DHS is beginning to put all of its case management in the hands of community-umbrella agencies.
The townhall is planned for 6 p.m. Wednesday at Towey Rec Center in West Kensington.
A new Philadelphia ordinance that went into effect January 1st provides an added layer of protection for the city’s most vulnerable children.
Hundreds from across the country have reached out to help Baby Noel, the newborn baby girl found in a box in North Philadelphia a few days before Christmas, and now you can too.
Philadelphia’s DHS has released a statement about baby Noel in response to the outpouring of support for the little girl, who was found abandoned in a cardboard box in North Philadelphia on Wednesday.
An attorney says the children of two defendants in the so-called “basement of horrors” case have now been formally adjudicated dependent and they have been placed outside the city by the Department of Human Services.
More than fifty Philadelphia families received the makings for a Thanksgiving feast on Saturday.
City Councilwoman Blondell Reynolds Brown says the hearing will not focus on the specifics of the Tacony basement case but rather the bigger picture of how mentally disabled children and adults are tracked in the city’s public welfare system.
The parents of one of the four mentally disabled people found chained in a Tacony basement last weekend will seek custody of their grandchildren.
Truancy is a problem in major urban areas. In Philadelphia 10,000 students, or 6% of the public school population, have 10 or more unexcused absences.
- Audit Reveals Problems With 2012 Election At Philadelphia Polling Places
- Masterman Students, Teachers Run To Raise Money For Extracurriculars
- Corbett May Have To Settle For Watered Down Pension Reform Bill
- A Summer Of Free Fun On Tap At Penn's Landing
- Study: Business School Grads Are Most Likely To Be Under-Employed
- James Gandolfini Most Romantic US Honeymoon... GHI @Home - Metal Shingle /... Athletes We Wish Stayed In...
- Tiger Woods At The US Open At... Final Round: The U.S. Open At... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Behind the Scenes: TP...
- Orr At The Shore 2013 NCC Retro-Rama Party The Philadelphia Diamonds Of... 11th Annual Gary Papa 5K Run-...
- 2013 US Open At Merion Storm Photos: June 13, 2013 WIP Morning Show Father's Day... US Open At Merion Practice...