(*Scroll down for individual reviews)
BEST BACON CREATION FINALS – SATURDAY, MAY 16, 10AM – 2PM
Where: The Convention Center at Valley Forge Casino Resort
GLEN MACNOW’s WIP HUNT FOR THE BEST BACON CREATION
By Glen Macnow
“Move over, eggs. Bacon just got a new best friend … fudge.” – Homer Simpson.
Homer knows. Bacon isn’t just for breakfast anymore. Yes, we still enjoy it with our omelets. And who doesn’t adore a fine bacon cheeseburger later in the day? But bacon has now become a 24-hour obsession, highlighted at every diner, tap room and fancy-schmanzy chop house in the Delaware Valley.
The bacon renaissance is in full bloom. And no city respects the sizzling swine as much as Philadelphia. Hell, one of our favorite sons is Kevin Bacon (turns out the guy is a vegan!)
So for this year’s Glen Macnow WIP Food Hunt, we’re searching for the top Bacon Creation – the most innovative and delicious use of our favorite porcine delight. My plan is to scour the Delaware Valley for the next seven weeks or so, uncovering every great bacon treat. Of course, it’s going to all end up at a WIP for-the-public finals where you’ll get to savor and judge the best of what I’ve found.
So what are we looking for this year?
MAIN COURSES: Breakfast, lunches and dinners centered around bacon. Again, not just a bacon hamburger – unless, perhaps, someone’s figured out how to create the bun out of bacon. But a creative sandwich focusing on bacon, a bacon-stuff pork loin (a bacon-stuffed anything, actually), or any exciting dish built around our favorite food will qualify.
SIDE DISHES: Appetizers, like figs wrapped in bacon. Sides, like bacon-garlic potatoes. Chicken-fried bacon strips. Popcorn seasoned with bacon. Spreadable bacon jam. I’m up for all of it, and searching for the best of it.
DESSERTS: Yes, and they’re great. Chocolate-covered bacon is something I’ve tried, and admit to loving. There’s a place, I’m told, that makes peanut butter-and-bacon cupcakes. I’ve always been a fan of the maple-bacon donut. And I’ll tell you this category was inspired by a pancake-maple-bacon milkshake at Ponzio’s in Cherry Hill.
Who doesn’t love bacon? As actor Nick Offerman (our hero Ron Swanson on Parks and Rec) said: “The world is split into two halves: the bacon and the bacon-eaters.”
We’re the eaters. Hope you are as well. So stayed tuned to this blog over the coming weeks. I’ll publish my findings, and regularly update the full list here at cbsphilly.com/bacon. You’ll also hear me give reviews on the station during the 94WIP Morning Show, as well as my weekend shows with Ray Didinger.
And if you’ve got a lead, a place I need to go, please send it along. You can reach me here, or on my Twitter page, @Realglenmacnow.
Macnow's Bacon Creation Scores (X / 100)
- The Pop Shop - 90
- Abe Fisher - 90
- Tired Hands Brewery - 82
- Blue Duck Sandwich Company - 84
- Sum Pig Food Truck (Bacon Parfait) - 81
- Sum Pig Food Truck (Bacon Blue) - 72
- Ants Pants - 68
- Tequilas Restaurant - 94
- Pearl's Oyster Bar - 63
- Harry's Blue Bell Taproom (Flight of Bacon) - 85
- Harry's Blue Bell Taproom (Scallops Rumaki) - 89
- Ponzio's Baker (Bacon Eggrolls) - No rating (ineligible)
- Sweet T's Bakeshop (Bread Pudding) - 85
- Sweet T's Bakeshop (Cupcakes) - 73
- Lolita Restaurant - 64
- Frawley Stadium - 63
- Cresheim Valley Grain Exchange - 91
- East Falls Tap Room - 75
- David Bradley Chocolatier - 75
- Bacon Press B&L Cafe (Flying Saucer) - 90
- Bacon Press B&L Cafe (Pancake Battered Bacon) - 82
- Fette Sau Philadelphia - 68
- Bar Ferdinand - 80
- Supper - 68
- Jake's Sandwich Board (Turbacon) - 71
- Butter Food Truck (Elvis Sandwich) - 64
- Butter Food Truck (Bacon Jalapeno Grilled Cheese) - 66
- Grubhouse (Elvis Melt) - 55
- Grubhouse (Tater Tots) - 84
- Grubhouse (Bacon Cakes) - 92
- Jake's Sandwich Board (chocolate covered bacon) - 71
- Melt Kraft - 54
- Down Home Diner - 83
- Loco Pez - 52
- La Colombe - 83
- Bacon Jams - 80
- Khyber Pass Pub - 90
- Beiler's Bakery - 92
- Industry Bar - 49
- Prime Stache - 88