19. South Philly BarbacoaBon Appetit magazine named it one of the three best tacos in America.
18. Jaco TacoFinally, we tried the vegetarian Baco Taco (which earned a ‘star’ on the menu as the restaurant’s own favorite).
17. El VezThe shrimp were large, slightly spicy and still steaming when they arrived at our table on homemade (!) corn tortillas.
16. Los Taquitos De PueblaLooking at the menu, I felt like I should be sitting next to Andrew Zimmern on “Bizarre Foods.”
15. Teresa’s Next DoorMy favorite, actually, was Teresa’s take on Carnitas, a standard taco of braised pork, onion, salsa verde and cilantro.
14. Taqueria La VeracruzanaThe Camarron (shrimp) Tacos were three for $10.
13. Taco MarThe Chicken Taco was the best choice, with the breast meat cut right off a chicken spinning on a rotisserie.
12. Mole PoblanoWe also enjoyed the Pastor, a tender citrusy pork taco with diced onion and bits of pineapple.
11. El Comalito Mexican TaqueriaThumbs up to the Tinga-Tinga Taco (pulled chicken in a chipotle-tomato sauce) and the Al Pastor (pork with diced pineapple).
10. Tequilas RestaurantThere are six varieties, and you can mix-and-match to serve your mood.
9. Michoacana GrillThree tilapia tacos for $10.95.
8. Taqueria FelizThey’ve got 10 varieties of tacos on the menu, including sesame tuna, cauliflower and blackened salmon.