McCoy To Invite Police To Sunday’s Game Vs. Kaepernick, Kelly

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Bills running back LeSean McCoy said he is inviting 15-20 Buffalo police officers to an upcoming game at a time when the 49ers visit Buffalo next and quarterback Colin Kaepernick is protesting police and the treatment of African-Americans and minorities.

McCoy said the gesture was not a direct response to Kaepernick’s kneeling protests during the national anthem, and that he has no problem with his protests. Kaepernick is set to start for the first time this year on Sunday against the Bills. McCoy said it has yet to be determined if the police officers will attend this weekend’s game or Buffalo’s following home game on Oct. 30 against New England.

Related: Chip Kelly Names Colin Kaepernick Starting QB

“Just an appreciation type of thing,” McCoy said. “Cause they’re taking so much heat right now. There’s things that are happening that’s definitely wrong but I just feel like there’s bad people, there’s bad cops and there’s good cops.”

McCoy revealed the invitation when asked about the attention surrounding Kaepernick and his protests.

“Nobody’s perfect and a lot of cops are getting a bad rap for something that bad cops are doing and they’re still good cops,” McCoy said.

McCoy’s gesture comes after he was involved in a fight with off-duty police officers at a Philadelphia nightclub in February. No charges were issued.

“You guys know about the cops, the situation I had,” McCoy said. “For me to say that, that’s genuine.”

Related: LeSean McCoy ‘Stands By’ Racial Comments Made Towards Chip Kelly

The plans to invite the police officers to a Bills home game had been in the works through McCoy’s foundation.

“I reached out to them,” McCoy said. “Like I said, it has nothing to do with Kap or the situation. I think that he might be doing the right thing because everybody’s opinion, there’s never a wrong opinion. I think he’s right for what he’s saying we need to do something about what’s going on because it is wrong. Then again, there’s good people and there’s bad people. There’s good cops and bad cops. So I’m just trying to show appreciation.”

McCoy is set to go up against his former coach in Philadelphia, Chip Kelly, for the second time since being traded from the Eagles to the Bills. McCoy caused a stir last year prior to Buffalo’s game against Philadelphia by saying Kelly couldn’t shake his hand but now says that’s water under the bridge.

“For sure, that’s way behind me,” McCoy said. “I never really had a real issue. Some things we didn’t see eye to eye. That’s tons of players and coaches.”

McCoy said he doesn’t have a problem with Kelly.

“I’m sure there’s people you work with that you don’t care to shake their hand and have a whole lot of conversations about your children and all that, different activities,” he said.

Kelly said his feelings about the situation haven’t changed.

“I enjoyed coaching LeSean in the two years that we had him in Philadelphia. He was extremely productive when he was there,” he said. “So I don’t have any expectations of what’s going to go on at the game.”

The Bills were without nine players at practice on Wednesday: DT Marcell Dareus (hamstring), LT Cordy Glenn (ankle), LB Zach Brown (foot), LB Lorenzo Alexander (rest), TE Charles Clay (knee), OT Cyrus Kouandjio (ankle), LB Brandon Spikes (illness), RB Mike Gillislee (illness) and CB Corey White (shoulder). The foot injury for Brown, who is tied for the league lead in tackles, is not serious according to Bills coach Rex Ryan. DT Corbin Bryant (ankle), P Colton Schmidt (right quadriceps), S Aaron Williams (foot), WR Marquise Goodwin (illness) and C Patrick Lewis (knee) were limited.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. MrGJG says:

I’m sure there are bad cops, but the vast majority of these shootings were justified so hopefully he’s not including those officers in his bad cops pool.

2. Seven Costanza says:

wheres my frikin comment? dafark?

long story short great move LM, and thats how I saved Christmas

3. Gabriel says:

Great move, McCoy! Wow! That’s brilliant, really! Upstate fans will love this move. Says a lot for his family too. Nice to know there are still some good people in the NFL. McCoy for Comish!

4. Irish Rose says:

Sitting here trying to figure out WHY McCoy inviting law enforcement officers to a game would even be an issue! This business of kneeling in protest has become quite common since it’s start. Many years ago, it was an outrage to burn our flag; to some of us it still is, yet like the kneeling, it’s also lost it’s punch. You people out there need to come up with new ways to protest. You’re getting to be quite boring.

5. David Gurney says:

It’s a left handed compliment:He’s attempting to equalize the number of bad cops to the number of criminals.

6. John Gray says:

Smart move, McCoy. Smart move. Expect your endorsements to rise 200% over next year. Plus…. you’re correct on principles.

7. Whoyathink says:

America is just a modern version of the middle east…. Crazy people acting crazy, but just being able to buy fresh milk at the 7/11

1. Sigmund says:

Great comment. lol Thanks.

8. markangelooo says:

Will they be wearing Pink Shoes ?

9. The NFL will probably fine him.

10. I hope the 49ers Afro-pick thug gets sacked 10 times, and he gets knocked out of the game.

1. Joe K Doe says:

Break a leg, Colin. No, seriously, break a leg, literally.

11. hatefulpric says:

Just shut up and play football, we don’t need to hear your opinions all the time. It’s nice that your giving away free tickets but a lot of phlanphropy goes unnoticed. Please no more statements or messages, just shut up and play!

1. bmwguy says:

Statement from a troll on a web post. Hilarious

1. Bob White says:

Reply to statement from a troll on a web post. Hilarious

12. Larry Jones says:

Animals. To hell with the Negro Felon League.

13. I hope that one of the Buffalo defensive backs gets through the line, and cleans Kaepernick’s plow. Maybe put him out for a good long time.

14. Steve Bacle says:

Good for LeSean! He is a hero and patriot. Go Buffalo! I have him and the the Buffalo on my fantasy teams this week.

15. iambicpentamaster says:

Not a Buffalo fan, but Kaepernickers chant “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon,” and “What do we want? DEAD COPS! When do we want ’em? NOW!!!”

Go Bills!

1. Ted McConville says:

Love the avatar!

16. Victor Eagon Krieger says:

Boycott the NFL!

17. Bob Roberts says:

I’m all for the kneelers and fisters, as long as the fisters lie down under the kneelers, and put their fists where they will do some good.

18. Miggy says:

Great job. I wonder who Kaepernick is going to call when he gets pummeled for that gold necklace her wears?

19. Jeffrey Gee says:

Good for him! Try and love your country or find the door!

20. David Smith says:

While he’s saying “there’s good cops and bad cops” he needs to also say “there’s good blacks and bad blacks”, but, of course, he doesn’t.

21. Matt says:

Total respect for LeSean. I’ll be routing for him and I’m both a Patriot and a Niners fan. This is both integrity and fearlessness in one package; a potent combination.

22. Harry Taft says:

The number of “bad cop” shootings has been infinitesimal. BLM is built on lies about the justification for lethal violence against black males resisting arrest. BLM resents any attempt to discipline blacks. They have no idea what their life would be like if the cops didn’t act for society. But their childlike mentality assumes they would control the narrative. How wrong they would be.

23. Thank you LaSean! You are a credit to NFL players on all teams.

24. DK says:

On the first play as the POS QB drops back, the Bills need to break into the National Anthem, when the POS goes to take a knee, take his head off!!!!!!!!!!!

25. That is alright. I agree the cops need a good distraction. I wish them well.
    I will NOT be watching any 49ers games this year. I was wounded in Korea in 1952 again in 1953 and left Korea and the Army in 1954. I do not appreciate what he stands for.

26. Henry yang says:

No will not watch that idiot taking a knee and just hope the Bills will take him down so his knee and his body will be staring into the turf. Go Bills but sorry I will not be watching. NFL can interpret the data of dropping viewership as they see fit and keep denial that these idiots that disrespect the flag has nothing to do with it. Same like Obama not acknowledging there is Islamic terror

27. Ole Sparkie says:

Very nice gesture by “Shady” McCoy. If it weren’t for that idiot Kelly, McCoy would still be an Eagle.

28. Middletown says:

It is amazing what you can do with the 4-8 hours you waste on Sunday NFL

29. We are done with the NFL and have not watched a game this season. Feels good.

Police across the nation should refuse to work security at NFL games.

The Democratic party endorsed black lies matter. We will vote Republican straight ticket, baby!!!

30. mncjgaines says:

Would love to see NFL record breaking sack numbers against the 49ers this weekend. If he wants to kneel on the turf, give that moron an up close look.

31. I;m not watching as much to be sure. But will be watching 7 fail this weekend.

32. TME says:

I hope the police stay away. Boycott the BLM-FL.

33. jnsesq says:

Kudos, LeSean! But I still won’t be watching as my one-man-Deplorable boycott of the National Felons League happily and proudly continues. I saw only the opening Thursday night game when all this disrespectful, traitorous BS began and I haven’t missed football a single bit since. :-)