PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — For the fourth year in a row, KYW Newsradio 1060AM will highlight individuals who have “changed the game” for the African-American community in the Greater Philadelphia area during Black History Month. GameChangers are individuals or organizations that have used their volunteer efforts and community influence to make a significant, positive change for people of color in the previous twelve months.
During the month of January, KYW Newsradio and CBS Philly received nearly 200 GameChanger nominations. A committee of past GameChangers met and choose the 10 honorees for the 2016 honor! KYW Newsradio is excited to announce this year’s honorees who will be featured on air and on CBSPhilly.com during the month of February:
- Carol Bangura, founder of Schools without Borders, for providing more than 100,000 books to girls in West and Southwest Philadelphia and in Delaware County.
- Ella Best, founder of Don’t Shoot– I Want a Future, for non-violence advocacy and for helping to save a Philadelphia police officer run over by a suspect in South Philadelphia.
- John Clifford & City Life Ministries for their work in providing 100,000 meals each year to feed those battling homelessness, poverty and addiction in Chester.
- Valerie Crabbe, founder of Being Beautiful Foundation, an organization that has helped foster youth.
- Tracey L. Fisher, founder of Gateway II Reentry, for transforming his own life and other returning citizens, after years in federal prison.
- Tawanda Green-Jones, founder of Camden Sophisticated Sisters, for helping to transform the lives of hundreds of Camden youth.
- Isaiah Huff, for his advocacy surrounding sickle cell anemia in Montgomery Country and throughout Pennsylvania.
- Norristown Men of Excellence, for their investment to enhance the lives of Norristown families.
- Red Cross, for launching its “No More Fire Deaths” initiative to save lives in lower income communities of Philadelphia.
- Tonie Willis, founder of Ardella’s House, for work inside of women’s prisons and for helping women transition to a better life.
Listen to KYW Newsradio beginning February 8, 2016 to hear more about this year’s GameChangers, also visit cbsphilly.com/gamechangers for continued updates.
The 2016 CBSPhilly GameChangers will be honored with a reception on February 24, 2016.