By Alexandria Hoff
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — For decades magazines have been drawing in readers with promises like “Rock Hard Abs By Dinner!” and “The Perfect Wedges for Hailing a Cab”. These promises have long been taken in jest until this week, when Glamour issued a public apology and retraction for a list titled, ‘13 Little Things That Make Men Fall Hard for You’.
The page where the article once was has been replaced by the statement;
We’ve been taking some heat for a post on man-pleasing tips that ran here a few days ago—and honestly, we kinda asked for it. (That’s the consensus across the Internet and even within our own ranks). We hear you, tweeters—and we agree.
Finding real, satisfying romance in 2015 essentially comes down to one thing: showing someone who you are, celebrating who he or she is, and respecting each other. We understand that the list read like a 1950s marriage handbook—and nobody wants to go back there.
This is all in response to a list that women as well as men took to social media to criticize, primarily for the shallow nature of the half obvious/half embarrassingly odd “tips.”
Relationship expert Irinia Baranov, tells CBS 3 that there is another way to think about this list. She says that many of the ideas included involve two things that she finds very important in strengthening any relationship; fun and thoughtfulness. The problem? The wording feels harshly dated. “The way that the advice is given is so sexist,” Baranov said, “It’s so 1950.”
“Making him a snack after sex, um I’m not sure about that one,” said one man who spoke with CBS 3.
“It shouldn’t just be all just about a man, that’s ridiculous,” said a woman.
CBS 3 Reporter Alexandria Hoff reports the magazine issued a public apology and retraction for a list titled, ‘13 Little Things That Make Men Fall Hard for You’, which reportedly included the following tips:
- Stocking the fridge with his favourite drinks. Bonus points: Bring him back to his fraternity days by handing him a cold one as he steps out of the shower.
- Making him a snack after sex. It doesn’t have to be a gourmet meal – a simple grilled cheese or milk and cookies will do.
- Emailing him the latest online gossip about his favourite TV show. You don’t have to have a BFF at HBO. Just share applicable links from your Twitter feed and pat yourself on the back.
- Bragging about him to your friends, family, the stranger on the street corner – whomever. Proclamations of pride will make his chest puff out and his heart swell.
- Answering the door in a negligée – or, better yet, naked.
- Being open to what he wants to try in the bedroom and out. An open mind is attractive no matter your playground.
- Letting him help solve your petty work problem. Many men don’t do gossip, but they do like to fix things.
- Spitting out sports stats for his favourite team. Showing an interest in his favourite players will earn you points on and off the field.
- Making a big deal out of his favourite meal. Does he like hot dogs cut up into his boxed mac-and-cheese? Serve it on a fancy tray in bed to really see him smile.
- Treating his friends as well as you treat your own. If you win their affections, you’ll win his heart.
- Sitting side-by-side while he watches his favourite TV. It may not feel like quality time to you, but it’s the best time to him.
- Giving him a massage – happy ending completely optional. In fact, a foot rub works just fine.
- Taking him back to third grade with a gentle tease over anything from how you’ll dominate him on the basketball court to the weird way he just styled his hair.