PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia Police say a woman has been arrested after she falsely claimed to be a recruiter for US Airways and took money from prospective employees.
Karen Benitez, also known as Karen Garcia, was arrested on November 7 for theft by deception and related charges.
Police say she charged job seekers $200 and told them it is a fee for fingerprinting, background checks, uniforms and security badges. She told the victims, most of which are new immigrants to the country and have limited English proficiency, that the fee would be refunded to them after they completed a 90 day probationary period.
Authorities say Benitez does not work for US Airways or any other entity at the airport. Also, US Airway does not charge fees for employment.
Officials say at this time there are around 50 known victims and they suspect there may be more. Anyone with information is urged to contact Detective Wojciechowski at The Airport Unit 215-937-6927.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Bud Light Still Planning To Cover Beer Tab If Eagles Win Super Bowl
- ‘Eagles Bagels Flying Off The Shelves’: Bakeries Showcasing Eagles-Inspired Treats
- Report: Autopsy Shows Roy Halladay Had Morphine In System At Time Of Death
- Businesses In Mayfair Brace For Eagles Fever As Big Game Nears
- 6 Homes Evacuated In Fishtown After Large Sinkhole Opens Up