PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – New laws go into effect on Monday relaxing the punishment for some types of marijuana possession in Philadelphia.
Police will now issue a $25 fine to anyone caught with less than an ounce of pot. Someone caught smoking marijuana in public will receive a $100 fine and up to nine hours of community service.
Officials say the new policy does not legalize marijuana use or possession, but it allows law enforcement to focus on more serious offenses.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- First Center City Medical Cannabis Dispensary To Open In Fall
- Seal Rescued After Being Caught Napping Near Amusement Park In Delaware
- Cosby Jurors Ask Judge For Legal Definition Of Consent
- Foreign Tick Found In New Jersey Could Pose Serious Threat To Humans
- Cat Undergoes Surgery After Being Shot In Spine With Pellet Gun