Suspects Fire Shots At Police During Wilmington Pursuit
WILMINGTON, Del. (CBS) – Police say two suspects they were pursuing in Wilmington Wednesday fired shots at them.
The two officers were reportedly patrolling the area of 11th and Spruce Streets around 11:45 p.m. when they saw a vehicle crash.
The operator refused to stop at the scene when signaled to do so, and at that point, a vehicle pursuit began.
During the pursuit, the front seat passenger reportedly reached out and fired shots at the officers before tossing his handgun out the window.
The pursuit continued until the suspects struck a tree near E. 7th Street. Both suspects fled but were arrested hiding in tall grass near the river.
Twenty-one-year-old Kenyetta Jackson is facing numerous charges, including possession of a firearm by a person prohibited and resisting arrest.
Shawn Mitchell, 21, was charge with disregarding a police officer’s signal and resisting arrest in addition to other charges.
A .45 caliber handgun was recovered.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- First Confirmed Case of Enterovirus D68 in New Jersey
- Butkovitz Says City’s 311 Call Center Operates Around the Clock, Only For Some
- 8-Year-Old Girl Dies After High-Rise Building Fall In West Philadelphia
- Social Media Users Help ID Suspects In Assault Of Same-Sex Couple In Center City
- Lynne Abraham Plans To Run For Mayor of Philadelphia in 2015