WILMINGTON, Del. (CBS) – Police say two suspects they were pursuing in Wilmington Wednesday fired shots at them.
The two officers were reportedly patrolling the area of 11th and Spruce Streets around 11:45 p.m. when they saw a vehicle crash.
The operator refused to stop at the scene when signaled to do so, and at that point, a vehicle pursuit began.
During the pursuit, the front seat passenger reportedly reached out and fired shots at the officers before tossing his handgun out the window.
The pursuit continued until the suspects struck a tree near E. 7th Street. Both suspects fled but were arrested hiding in tall grass near the river.
Twenty-one-year-old Kenyetta Jackson is facing numerous charges, including possession of a firearm by a person prohibited and resisting arrest.
Shawn Mitchell, 21, was charge with disregarding a police officer’s signal and resisting arrest in addition to other charges.
A .45 caliber handgun was recovered.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- US Government Shuts Down; Dems, GOP Blame Each Other
- Philadelphia Police Will Increase Presence For Eagles Game, Women’s March
- PECO Won’t Run Eagles Crown Light Messages Hoping Not To ‘Jinx’ Team
- 3 Cheers: Philadelphia’s Embrace Of Underdog Spirit Is Nothing New
- Family: Tom Petty Died Of An Accidental Overdose