Suspects Fire Shots At Police During Wilmington Pursuit
WILMINGTON, Del. (CBS) – Police say two suspects they were pursuing in Wilmington Wednesday fired shots at them.
The two officers were reportedly patrolling the area of 11th and Spruce Streets around 11:45 p.m. when they saw a vehicle crash.
The operator refused to stop at the scene when signaled to do so, and at that point, a vehicle pursuit began.
During the pursuit, the front seat passenger reportedly reached out and fired shots at the officers before tossing his handgun out the window.
The pursuit continued until the suspects struck a tree near E. 7th Street. Both suspects fled but were arrested hiding in tall grass near the river.
Twenty-one-year-old Kenyetta Jackson is facing numerous charges, including possession of a firearm by a person prohibited and resisting arrest.
Shawn Mitchell, 21, was charge with disregarding a police officer’s signal and resisting arrest in addition to other charges.
A .45 caliber handgun was recovered.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Insurers Dogged By Claims Of Slanted Sandy Reports
- Remembering Kernie Anderson, Philadelphia Radio Legend
- Philadelphia Police Officers Head To New York For Funeral Of Slain Officer
- Year In Review: Montgomery County Man Sentenced To Death In Killing Of Infant, Grandmother
- Year In Review: Budget Turmoil For The Philadelphia School District