TORONTO (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to the Toronto Blue Jays for minor league infielder Gustavo Pierre.
The Blue Jays, on the outskirts of the AL wild-card race, announced the deal Sunday night. Mayberry would be eligible for the postseason if Toronto reaches the playoffs.
The 30-year-old Mayberry hit .213 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 63 games for the Phillies this season. He’d been on the disabled list since July 21 because of inflammation in his left wrist, and was expected to be activated Monday.
Mayberry arrived in the Phillies’ clubhouse before Sunday’s game in New York, and had been scheduled to fly with the team to Atlanta after its 6-5 loss to the Mets.
In six seasons with the Phillies, Mayberry hit .242 with 52 homers and 169 RBIs.
The 22-year-old Pierre batted a combined .260 with eight homers and 43 RBIs at Class A and Double-A.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Sixers Trade Ilyasova To Hawks For Splitter, 2nd Round Picks
- Off The Field, Brandon Graham Embracing The Challenge Of Fatherhood
- WWE: Why Naomi Will Reclaim The SmackDown Women’s Title
- Flyers Welcome Capitals To The Center Tonight
- 2017 NBA Second Half Preview – Western Conference
- 76ers No. 46 On Entrepreneur’s Top Company Culture List
- Joel Embiid Doubtful For Next Two Games
- Candice Wiggins Says She Was Targeted For Being Heterosexual In WNBA
- Report: Jahlil Okafor ‘Will Get Moved’ By The Deadline
- Mackanin: Franco’s New Approach Could Lead To Big Year