TORONTO (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to the Toronto Blue Jays for minor league infielder Gustavo Pierre.
The Blue Jays, on the outskirts of the AL wild-card race, announced the deal Sunday night. Mayberry would be eligible for the postseason if Toronto reaches the playoffs.
The 30-year-old Mayberry hit .213 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 63 games for the Phillies this season. He’d been on the disabled list since July 21 because of inflammation in his left wrist, and was expected to be activated Monday.
Mayberry arrived in the Phillies’ clubhouse before Sunday’s game in New York, and had been scheduled to fly with the team to Atlanta after its 6-5 loss to the Mets.
In six seasons with the Phillies, Mayberry hit .242 with 52 homers and 169 RBIs.
The 22-year-old Pierre batted a combined .260 with eight homers and 43 RBIs at Class A and Double-A.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Phillies Hold On For 5th Straight Win, Beat Indians 4-3
- New Book Offers Fresh Look At The Phillies
- DRAFT RECAP: Eagles Add More Offense And Then Focus On Defense
- Phillies Top Indians With Ryan Howard Walk Off Home Run
- Eagles Select OL Isaac Seumalo With 3rd Round Selection
- Penn State QB Hackenberg Drafted By Jets In 2nd Round
- Carson Wentz Speaks With Eyewitness News On His First Day In Philly
- Keidel: Like Dan Marino, Laremy Tunsil A Victim Of Embellished Fears
- Soul Head West For Monday Night Battle In LA
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: April 25th-April 29th