Phillies Trade OF John Mayberry Jr To Blue Jays
TORONTO (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to the Toronto Blue Jays for minor league infielder Gustavo Pierre.
The Blue Jays, on the outskirts of the AL wild-card race, announced the deal Sunday night. Mayberry would be eligible for the postseason if Toronto reaches the playoffs.
The 30-year-old Mayberry hit .213 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 63 games for the Phillies this season. He’d been on the disabled list since July 21 because of inflammation in his left wrist, and was expected to be activated Monday.
Mayberry arrived in the Phillies’ clubhouse before Sunday’s game in New York, and had been scheduled to fly with the team to Atlanta after its 6-5 loss to the Mets.
In six seasons with the Phillies, Mayberry hit .242 with 52 homers and 169 RBIs.
The 22-year-old Pierre batted a combined .260 with eight homers and 43 RBIs at Class A and Double-A.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Pete Prisco On Tim Tebow: ‘He’s Not Fixable’
- ‘Sons Of Ben: The Movie’ Prepares To Hit The Big Screen
- Lou Williams Named NBA’s Sixth Man Of The Year
- Local High School Mourning Death Of Football Player
- Albert Breer: Tim Tebow’s ‘A Long Shot’ To Make The Eagles
- Corey Seidman Wins The 94WIP Great Baseball Debate
- Official: Eagles Announce Acquisition Of Tim Tebow
- Watch: New ‘Iverson’ Documentary Trailer
- Poll: Eagles Fans Supporting The Acquisition Of Tim Tebow
- Philly Soft Pretzel Factory Selling $1 Tim Tebow Pretzels