TORONTO (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to the Toronto Blue Jays for minor league infielder Gustavo Pierre.
The Blue Jays, on the outskirts of the AL wild-card race, announced the deal Sunday night. Mayberry would be eligible for the postseason if Toronto reaches the playoffs.
The 30-year-old Mayberry hit .213 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 63 games for the Phillies this season. He’d been on the disabled list since July 21 because of inflammation in his left wrist, and was expected to be activated Monday.
Mayberry arrived in the Phillies’ clubhouse before Sunday’s game in New York, and had been scheduled to fly with the team to Atlanta after its 6-5 loss to the Mets.
In six seasons with the Phillies, Mayberry hit .242 with 52 homers and 169 RBIs.
The 22-year-old Pierre batted a combined .260 with eight homers and 43 RBIs at Class A and Double-A.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Altherr Makes Big Return In First Game Back For Phillies
- Full Squad Gathers For First Workout At Eagles Training Camp
- Phillies Continue Road Trip Tonight In Atlanta
- Rams Grant Nick Foles’ Request For Release
- Jon Dorenbos Reaches Semi-Finals Of America’s Got Talent
- 11-Year-Old Medford Renegades Look For Revenge In Mid-Atlantic Tourney
- Philly Soccer Blog: Derrick Jones Joins Philadelphia Union
- Dottie Pepper On PGA Championship: ‘A Very Intimidating Layout’
- Ryan Mathews Placed On Non-Football Injury List With Bad Ankle
- Phillies Hammered In Rubber Match Vs. Marlins