Phillies Trade OF John Mayberry Jr To Blue Jays
TORONTO (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to the Toronto Blue Jays for minor league infielder Gustavo Pierre.
The Blue Jays, on the outskirts of the AL wild-card race, announced the deal Sunday night. Mayberry would be eligible for the postseason if Toronto reaches the playoffs.
The 30-year-old Mayberry hit .213 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 63 games for the Phillies this season. He’d been on the disabled list since July 21 because of inflammation in his left wrist, and was expected to be activated Monday.
Mayberry arrived in the Phillies’ clubhouse before Sunday’s game in New York, and had been scheduled to fly with the team to Atlanta after its 6-5 loss to the Mets.
In six seasons with the Phillies, Mayberry hit .242 with 52 homers and 169 RBIs.
The 22-year-old Pierre batted a combined .260 with eight homers and 43 RBIs at Class A and Double-A.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Union Win Second Straight, Beat Red Bulls 2-0
- Nationals Take Two Of Three After 4-1 Win Over Phillies
- Villanova Student Honors Returning Veterans By Sending Them To Sports Events
- Hamels Excels As Phils Top Strasburg, Nats 8-1
- Are Injured Veterans Worth The Risk In Fantasy Baseball?
- Phillies Fall To Nationals, 2-1
- No One, Six, Eleven But Future Still Bright For Sixers
- Keidel: LeBron James Vs. Michael Jordan
- Soul In Tampa, Looking To Bounce Back From First Loss
- Report: Cole Hamels Does Not Waive No Trade Clause For Blue Jays