TORONTO (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to the Toronto Blue Jays for minor league infielder Gustavo Pierre.
The Blue Jays, on the outskirts of the AL wild-card race, announced the deal Sunday night. Mayberry would be eligible for the postseason if Toronto reaches the playoffs.
The 30-year-old Mayberry hit .213 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 63 games for the Phillies this season. He’d been on the disabled list since July 21 because of inflammation in his left wrist, and was expected to be activated Monday.
Mayberry arrived in the Phillies’ clubhouse before Sunday’s game in New York, and had been scheduled to fly with the team to Atlanta after its 6-5 loss to the Mets.
In six seasons with the Phillies, Mayberry hit .242 with 52 homers and 169 RBIs.
The 22-year-old Pierre batted a combined .260 with eight homers and 43 RBIs at Class A and Double-A.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Phillies Improve To 8-1 At Home With 6-2 Win Over Pirates
- Sixers Top Heat 106-102, Simmons 1st Rookie To Record Playoff Triple-double Since Magic Johnson
- Taxpayers To Pay More Than Half Of $2.27M Eagles Championship Parade Bill
- Herrera Go-Ahead Triple Gets Phillies Win Over Pirates 2-1
- Heat’s Justise Winslow Fined $15,000 For Stepping On Joel Embiid’s Mask
- Courtier’s Late Goal Helps Flyers Edge Penguins To Force Game 6
- Mural Honoring Super Bowl Champs Eagles Now Complete
- Report: Nick Foles, Eagles Agree To Revised Contract For 2018 Season
- Arrieta Ks 10, Allows 1 Hit In 7 Innings In Phillies Win
- Masked Embiid Helps Sixers Beat Heat 128-108 For 2-1 Series Lead