PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Where’s the most dangerous intersection in the country?
Apparently, it’s right here in the Philadelphia area. Bensalem, to be exact.
Using data from 2003 to 2012 to determine the number of fatal accidents within about 150 feet of one another, TIME says it concluded that the intersection of Knights Road and Street Road in Bensalem is the most dangerous intersection in America.
“It’s plagued by poor signage, dim, lighting, discontinuous sidewalks, aggressive drivers and jaywalkers, according to a 2008 traffic audit,” TIME writes.
And it was the site of seven fatal accidents in the 10 year period analyzed. Within one mile of that crossover, there were 144 crashes in the two years leading up to the 2008 audit alone, with 170 fatalities or injuries.
One person who spoke to TIME, a transportation director, said the intersection is also a tough one because the turn is not a 90-degree angle. And a regional planning commission suggested a complete revamp of the intersection to make it safer for drivers and pedestrians.
So, where are the rest of America’s most dangerous intersections? One is in northern New Jersey, and a whopping five more are in Florida. Five others were scattered around the country.
To see the full TIME list of the most dangerous intersections in the U.S., click here.
Check Out These Other Stories:
- Stephen Colbert Introduces The ‘Hilly Fanatic’ During DNC Show
- Ashley Judd Among Protesters In Philadelphia During DNC, Calls It ‘Poetic’ Experience
- Hillary Clinton Addresses DNC, Young Girls After Historic Nomination
- Police Detain Protesters, Several Attempt To Enter Secure Area Near DNC
- Actress Who Played TV Psychic Miss Cleo Dies Of Cancer At 53