PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Pinch-hitter Grady Sizemore hit a go-ahead two-run homer in the sixth inning, helping the Philadelphia Phillies beat the NL East-leading Washington Nationals 8-4 Wednesday night to complete a three-game sweep.
Marlon Byrd hit a two-run homer and Jimmy Rollins hit a solo shot to back Kyle Kendrick (7-11). The right-hander allowed four runs and seven hits in six innings.
The last-place Phillies went 7-2 on their best homestand this season.
Denard Span was 3 for 4 and fell a triple short of the cycle for the Nationals. Doug Fister (12-5) allowed a season-high 10 hits and five runs — four earned — in 5 2-3 innings.
The Nationals had won 12 of 13 before losing three in a row in Philadelphia. They still have the best record (75-57) in the NL and a comfortable 6½-game lead over Atlanta in the division.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Eagles Quarterback Situation Remains Cloudy
- Lane Johnson Says He ‘Really Doesn’t Know’ If Chip Kelly Will Return To Eagles
- Adam Schefter: ‘Signs Seem To Be Piling Up Against’ Chip Kelly Returning To Eagles
- Lane Johnson: Playing At Linc ‘Is Not Really A Home Field Advantage Anymore’
- FanDuel Weekly Roundup: Who To Play, Who To Pass For NFL Week 12