Police Announce Arrest In Holmesburg Double Murder
By Tim Jimenez
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Philadelphia Police arrested a man who they say shot and killed two women in their Holmesburg home over the weekend. Investigators say despite the suspect’s history of robberies and gun charges, the victims actually tried to help him out.
James Mears, 25, now faces two counts of murder, robbery and other offenses. Police say he killed 67-year-old Dollie Evans and 57-year-old Ruby Thomas in their home on the 4700 block of Vista Street Saturday evening.
“It’s very disturbing. It’s a very cold blooded act, and heartless act,” Homicide Captain James Clark said.
Clark says months back Mears returned to the neighborhood but had nowhere to go.
“When he got out of prison the two women were nice enough to allow him to stay in their place. He came up with a scheme that he was going to rob them,” Clark said.
First, police say Mears struggled with then shot Evans and took $500. Then, authorities say he went up a floor and strangled and shot Thomas.
Clark says Mears also confessed while in custody. He also said they are looking to talk to one more person.
“Through investigation another name has has sort of come up. We’re looking for this person actively to bring him in. We don’t know what, if any, his role is with this double murder. But we’re going to find him and bring him in and talk to him,” Clark said.
Must Read Today’s Top Stories
- Councilwoman Says New Deal Will Replace Proposed Ban on Cash-For-Cellphone Kiosks
- CBS Agrees to Buy Philadelphia Radio Stations 92XTU and Wired 96.5
- ‘Real Housewives’ Couple Face Sentencing For Fraud
- CBS Radio To Grow Major Market Presence In Philadelphia And Miami Through Swap With Beasley Broadcast Group
- Amtrak Warns Eventual Shutdown of NJ-to-NYC Tunnels Will Be Needed