TRENTON, NJ (CBS) – A New Jersey priest has been charged with engaging in sexual conduct with a teenager.
The Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office says that Reverend Romannilo Apura, 67, was taken into custody on Thursday morning at his residence at St. Martha Parish in Pt. Pleasant, NJ.
Apura reportedly masturbated the teen victim, a male, inside a home in Trenton on one occasion in the spring/early summer of 2014. A second incident occurred in June 2014, when the suspect reportedly tried to remove the same victim’s pants.
Apura is charged with one count of second-degree endangering the welfare of a child, one count of third-degree aggravated criminal sexual contact and one count of fourth-degree attempt to commit criminal sexual contact.
Officials say the Diocese of Trenton reported the allegations earlier this week. Anyone with information should contact the prosecutor’s Special Victims Unit at (609) 989-6568.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- 1 Missing, 4 Rescued After Boat Hits Wake On Delaware River, Coast Guard Says
- Robert Indiana, Artist Known For LOVE Sculpture, Dies At 89
- Middle Township Police: Man Arrested After Marijuana Is Found In Daughter’s Book Bag
- Marple Township Residents Fired Up Over Proposed Redevelopment Of Don Guanella School
- ‘Water Is Water’: Recycled Wastewater Scores The Same As Bottled Water, Study Reveals