PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Wil Nieves doubled and had three hits and Cole Hamels got a victory when he wasn’t at his best as the Philadelphia Phillies defeated the Seattle Mariners 4-3 on Wednesday.
Chase Utley had the go-ahead RBI and Ben Revere and Marlon Byrd drove in runs for the Phillies.
Kendrys Morales homered for Seattle.
Hamels (7-6) snapped his string of seven straight starts going at least seven innings. He didn’t have his best stuff against the Mariners, giving up three runs on nine hits with four strikeouts, one walk and two wild pitches, but he got just enough run support .
Jonathan Papelbon struck out two in a scoreless ninth for his 30th save in 33 opportunities.
James Paxton (3-1) took the first loss of his 10th career start.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- SI Releases Patriots, Eagles Super Bowl LII Cover Images
- Eagles Challenge NFL To Donate Underdog Shirt Proceeds To Charity
- Vikings Fans Shake Hands Of Eagles Fans, Before Exiting The Linc
- ‘Eagles By Knockout’: Rocky Weighs In On Super Bowl Matchup
- Gasol, Evans Fuel Rally As Grizzlies Overcome Sixers 105-101