SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (CBS/AP) — Zion Spearman scored on shortstop Matt Adams’ two-out throwing error to first base in the sixth inning to give Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons a 7-6 victory over Pearland, Texas on Sunday night in the Little League World Series.
Scott Bandura reached on a bunt leading off the sixth. Two outs later, Spearman tied it with a line-drive triple into the left-center gap.
Mo’ne Davis had a bloop RBI single in the first inning for Taney (2-0) to become the sixth girl to get a hit in LLWS history. On Friday, in the team’s opener, she threw a two-hitter and struck out eight in a 4-0 victory over Nashville, Tennessee.
Pearland (1-1) had a four-run fifth to take a 6-3 lead. Cole Smajstrla hit a three-run home run and Layne Roblyer, who homered earlier, had an RBI single. The Dragons cut it to 6-5 in the bottom of the inning on RBI base hits by Spearman and Kai Cummings.
Taney will play Las Vegas, also 2-0, on Wednesday night.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Santoliquito: Phillies’ Success Is A Surprise To Everyone But The Phillies
- Borgata Designing New Venue For Sports Betting
- Eagles’ Chris Long, Malcolm Jenkins React To NFL Owners’ National Anthem Decision
- Lenny Dykstra, Former Phillies OF, Arrested For Allegedly Threatening Uber Driver
- Sixers’ Robert Covington, Joel Embiid Make NBA All-Defensive Teams