McIlroy Wins Riveting PGA, 2nd Straight Major
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Rory McIlroy won his second straight major championship and fourth of his young career, rallying on the back nine in the PGA Championship.
The tournament finished in near-darkness Sunday at Valhalla Golf Club, with the final two groups essentially morphing into a foursome as they raced to beat nightfall. A nearly two-hour rain delay set up the possibility of a Monday finish, especially if there had been a three-hole playoff.
McIlroy took care of that by shooting 3-under 68, beating Phil Mickelson by one stroke. McIlroy rallied from a three-shot deficit at the turn, setting up an eagle at the 10th with a brilliant second shot. He built a two-stroke lead with a 10-foot birdie putt at the 17th.
McIlroy finished at 16-under 268.
Rickie Fowler and Henrik Stenson tied for third, two shots behind.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sixers Can’t Keep Pace With Indiana In 94-74 Loss
- Report: Sixers Considering Buyout For JaVale McGee
- Five Great College Basketball Games Left This Season
- Phillies Open Spring Schedule With Loss To University Of Tampa
- Villanova’s Darrun Hilliard Emerges As Big East Player Of The Year Favorite
- Flyers Score Big Win Against Rangers, 4-2
- St Joe’s Can’t Get Past Richmond In 63-57 Loss
- Penn Lets One Slip Away Against Yale, 55-50
- Penn State Falls To Iowa In OT, 81-77
- 5 NCAA Storylines To Watch Heading Into March