Ryan Howard Lifts Phillies To 6-5 Win Over Astros
PHILADELPHIA (AP/CBS) — Ryan Howard hit a grand slam, capping a five-run rally in the eighth inning that lifted the Philadelphia Phillies over the Houston Astros 6-5 on Thursday night. The blast gave the Phillies the victory and a sweep of the Houston Astros.
Chris Carter hit two homers and drove in four runs for Houston, which lost its eighth straight in Philadelphia.
Carlos Ruiz and Ben Revere each had two hits as the Phillies completed the three-game sweep.
Mario Hollands (2-1) pitched two scoreless innings and Jonathan Papelbon pitched the ninth for his 27th save in 30 chances. The save for Papelbon tied him for the fifth most in team history with Tug McGraw (94).
Howard’s game winning grand slam came with two outs on a full-count pitch from Tony Sipp (2-2).
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Howard Scores Career-High 18, Penn Beats Dartmouth 58-51
- Carter-Williams Leads Sixers Past Timberwolves 103-94
- Keidel: Perfect Confluence Of Timing, Talent, History For Mayweather
- 76ers Host Thad Young And The Timberwolves Tonight
- Philly Soccer Show: Union Rookie Wants To Play As Team Prepares For 2015 Campaign