PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — According to Ken Rosenthal, Phillies ace Cole Hamels has been claimed off waivers by an unidentified team. Hamels was claimed on revocable waivers which means the Phillies now have two days to either work out a trade with the team that claimed him, or they can pull him back off waivers.
There are only nine teams that Hamels can be dealt to without his consent. Those teams are Boston, L.A. Dodgers, Atlanta, L.A. Angels, St. Louis, Washington, San Diego, Texas and the New York Yankees.
There is no indication at this time whether or not the team that claimed Hamels is among those nine franchises. When a player is placed on waivers, each team has an opportunity to claim that player. The selection process goes in order from the team with the worst record in baseball to the team with the best.
Rosenthal is also reporting that Marlon Byrd was claimed on waivers as well. Byrd’s name had been linked to several teams as the July 31st deadline approached including the Mariners and the Pirates.
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Topps Selling Baseball Card Collection For Over $20,000
- Eagles Week 14 Injury Report: Jordan Matthews And Ryan Mathews Expected To Return
- What To Look For In Eagles/Redskins Sunday
- Jeff Hardy Opens Up About TNA Wrestling, Concussion Fears, New Album
- Watch: PSU Fan Surprised With Rose Bowl Tickets Breaks Down