By John Ostapkovich
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The National Retail Federation says parents of college students will spend a little more than $700 buying stuff so their kids can live in a dorm room. High tech gear can gobble up a chunk of that.
From laptops to tablets and game systems, tech can cost a lot more than bed sheets, but you also might get more mileage out of some of it.
Wearable tech is the new must-have, according to Best Buy blueshirt Matthew McLane.
“The Samsung Gear 2 Neo is a fitness tracker, along with a smart watch, so you hopefully help to try to avoid the Freshman 15 by tracking your steps. It has a heart rate monitor along with that, and you can also get notifications directly to that watch with phone calls, emails, app notifications.”
Meaning, you don’t have to lug a second piece of gear along. McLane says cyber security is a big concern for kids leaving the nest, advising them to be conscious that it’s not their father’s WiFi hotspot any more.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Bermuda Officials: Missing St. Joseph’s University Student Found Dead
- Supreme Court Keeps Revised Pa. Congressional Map In Place
- Police Arrest Man Allegedly Involved In Allergy Medication Theft At Food Market
- Man Who Fled To Mexico With Teen Will Soon Return To Pennsylvania
- Pay Phones Rake In Nearly $300 Million In Revenue