Parents Of College Students Spending Hundreds On High Tech Gear For Their Kids
By John Ostapkovich
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The National Retail Federation says parents of college students will spend a little more than $700 buying stuff so their kids can live in a dorm room. High tech gear can gobble up a chunk of that.
From laptops to tablets and game systems, tech can cost a lot more than bed sheets, but you also might get more mileage out of some of it.
Wearable tech is the new must-have, according to Best Buy blueshirt Matthew McLane.
“The Samsung Gear 2 Neo is a fitness tracker, along with a smart watch, so you hopefully help to try to avoid the Freshman 15 by tracking your steps. It has a heart rate monitor along with that, and you can also get notifications directly to that watch with phone calls, emails, app notifications.”
Meaning, you don’t have to lug a second piece of gear along. McLane says cyber security is a big concern for kids leaving the nest, advising them to be conscious that it’s not their father’s WiFi hotspot any more.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Montco Hair Salon Gives Free Makeovers To Homeless Women
- Churches Across Philadelphia Packed For Christmas Eve Services
- Thieves Take Gifts From Chester County Homes On Christmas Eve
- 2 Hurt, Families Displaced After Partial Building Collapse In Olney
- Delaware Apartment Fire That Displaced 6 Families Ruled Accidental