Parents Of College Students Spending Hundreds On High Tech Gear For Their Kids
By John Ostapkovich
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The National Retail Federation says parents of college students will spend a little more than $700 buying stuff so their kids can live in a dorm room. High tech gear can gobble up a chunk of that.
From laptops to tablets and game systems, tech can cost a lot more than bed sheets, but you also might get more mileage out of some of it.
Wearable tech is the new must-have, according to Best Buy blueshirt Matthew McLane.
“The Samsung Gear 2 Neo is a fitness tracker, along with a smart watch, so you hopefully help to try to avoid the Freshman 15 by tracking your steps. It has a heart rate monitor along with that, and you can also get notifications directly to that watch with phone calls, emails, app notifications.”
Meaning, you don’t have to lug a second piece of gear along. McLane says cyber security is a big concern for kids leaving the nest, advising them to be conscious that it’s not their father’s WiFi hotspot any more.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- SPCA Announces Dog Found With Shackle Embedded In Neck Has Been Adopted
- Job Fair Wednesday Seeks Security Guards For Papal Visit
- ‘Real Housewives’ Star Accused Of Shoplifting
- Study: Cancer Treatment Is Working, But Eligible Patients Aren’t Receiving It
- Police Release Sketch Of Suspect Wanted For Tying Man Up, Taking Cash, Jewelry, Laptop