PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a suspected drunk driver that occurred early Friday morning in Northeast Philadelphia.
Investigators say a woman traveling south on Academy Road right behind the Northeast Airport around 3 a.m. lost of her car, jumped a curb, struck a male pedestrian and then slammed into a utility pole, knocking it to the ground.
The male pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.
The suspected DUI driver is being tested and medically evaluated. Investigators say possible DUI charges are pending.
Academy Road remains closed between Morrell and Grant Avenue.
- Weather: The First Arctic Blast Of The Season
- Police: Trooper Responding To Erratic Driver Complaint When Fatally Struck
- Study: Videos Games Prove Beneficial For Surgeons
- Court Filing Shows Army Still Considers Chelsea Manning A Man
- IKEA To Gives Employees Up To 4 Months Paid Parental Leave
- Federal Judge Schedules Hearing On Presidential Election Recount In PA
- Wife Who Killed Husband With Rat Poison In Food To Be Freed
- Swarthmore Hoops Taking National Ranking In Stride
- Supreme Court Sides With Samsung In Apple Patent Case
- Founder Of Local Organization Talks Celiac On ‘The Doctors’