PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a suspected drunk driver that occurred early Friday morning in Northeast Philadelphia.
Investigators say a woman traveling south on Academy Road right behind the Northeast Airport around 3 a.m. lost of her car, jumped a curb, struck a male pedestrian and then slammed into a utility pole, knocking it to the ground.
The male pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.
The suspected DUI driver is being tested and medically evaluated. Investigators say possible DUI charges are pending.
Academy Road remains closed between Morrell and Grant Avenue.
- Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Causing Major Headache For Motorists
- ‘It Was Pandemonium’: Resident Recounts Rescue From West Chester Senior Home Fire
- Race Weekend Kicks Off With Philadelphia Half-Marathon
- Food Bank Of South Jersey Holds Annual Turkey Drop
- Police Officer Killed In Pennsylvania, Gunman At Large
- 3 Cheers: Hero Neighbors Help Save Lives During West Chester Inferno
- WINTER OUTLOOK: How Much Snow Will Fall This Season?
- Man Charged With Sexually Assaulting Boy He Met On ‘Grindr’ App
- Officer Saves Life Of Hockey Player Suffering From Heart Attack On Ice
- Lehigh Valley Farm Providing White House With Thanksgiving Turkeys For Nearly 60 Years