PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a suspected drunk driver that occurred early Friday morning in Northeast Philadelphia.
Investigators say a woman traveling south on Academy Road right behind the Northeast Airport around 3 a.m. lost of her car, jumped a curb, struck a male pedestrian and then slammed into a utility pole, knocking it to the ground.
The male pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.
The suspected DUI driver is being tested and medically evaluated. Investigators say possible DUI charges are pending.
Academy Road remains closed between Morrell and Grant Avenue.
- Clinton vs. Trump: The Most Memorable One-Liners
- Clinton, Trump Battle Fiercely Over Taxes, Race, Terror
- Testimony: Port Authority Officials Planned To Make Bridgegate Traffic Jam ‘As Bad As Possible’
- Judges Delay Menendez Decision Pending Supreme Court Appeal
- Sixers Look To Win At Different Kind Of Game
- Numerous Events Planned In Philadelphia For Voter Registration Day
- Prospects Dim For Approval Of Philly Ride-Sharing Bill Before Friday Deadline
- FBI Data Show Increase In Murder, Violent Crime In 2015
- 2 NJ Transit Buses Collide In Lincoln Tunnel, Injuring Dozens
- How Body Language Can Spell Victory Or Defeat For Clinton, Trump