2 Shootings Involving Philadelphia Police Under Investigation
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Two shootings involving Philadelphia police officers are under investigation.
In Southwest Philadelphia, an officer fired at a suspect through a car window at Island and Elmwood Avenues. That suspect had reportedly tried to run down the officer and his partner when they tried to arrest him for the theft of a motorcycle.
Another Philadelphia police officer also fired on a suspect in Strawberry Mansion. Police say the suspect pulled a gun on police on the 3200 block of Page Street.
That suspect is in the hospital.
Despite the two incidents, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey says shootings involving police officers are relatively unusual.
“We take each one of these incidents very seriously, we investigate them thoroughly, and this is no exception,” he says. “And the District Attorney will ultimately take a look at it as well. We want to make sure that if an officer does have to resort to deadly force, it’s appropriate.”
Police say the suspect in the Strawberry Mansion shooting was wanted for shooting a teen in the face a few blocks away. That teen is also hospitalized.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Penn State Frat Suspended For 3 Years
- Lawmaker: Bills To Aid Atlantic City To Get Vote Next Month
- Focus Turns To Seat Belt Safety After Tragic Crash That Killed John Nash And Wife
- NJ Congressman Announces Legislation Aimed At Helping Residents Impacted By Superstorm Sandy
- Police: Man Shot 3 Times In Southwest Philadelphia