DARBY, Pa., (CBS) — Going to the prom is a rite of passage for many high school students.
It’s something the Mayor of Darby Borough never got to do — until today.
During an interview with student Da’Shawn Jenifer, Mayor Helen Thomas said she never went to her prom.
Jenifer, along with campers and staff of the Fresh Start Program, decided to organize the event for her.
Mayor Thomas thought she was attending an award ceremony for the Police Chief of Darby, but instead, she received the surprise of a lifetime.
“I was surprised. I feel grateful, I feel very humbled right now,” Mayor Thomas said.
CBS 3 is told the Darby Police Chief also sent her a limousine to take her to the prom.
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers
- Born In ’97, World’s First Surviving Septuplets Graduate High School
- Detroit Police Department Calls Out Philly Police To Running Man Challenge
- More And More Young People Are Living With Their Parents
- Twitter Will Stretch Its 140-Character Limit
- It’s OK To Let Your Baby Cry Himself To Sleep, Study Finds