5-Year-Old Boy Dead, Mother Critical After Suspect Shoots Them, Then Himself In Ridley Township
By Al Novack and Justin Udo
RIDLEY TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) – Police in Delaware County say a five-year-old boy is dead and his mother is in critical condition after the child’s father shot them, then led police on a wild chase before turning the gun on himself.
Officials say they received word of a shooting at a home on Haverford Road in the Crum Lynne section around 11 p.m. Saturday.
Upon arrival, police found five-year-old Cion Styles in a backyard shot in the head. He was later pronounced dead.
The child’s mother, identified as Shyema Washington, of Philadelphia, was also found suffering from gunshot wounds to her face and buttocks. She’s in critical condition at Crozer-Chester Medical Center.
“She had gone out to the back to retrieve the child, at which time the sister said she heard gunshots,” explains Lt. Scott Willoughby from the Ridley Township Police Department.
Witnesses say the father of the boy, identified as Tyrell Styles of Philadelphia, had been dropping his child off at a party when he became embroiled in an argument and began shooting.
After police arrived, Styles fled in a car that was spotted speeding along Chester Pike moments later.
Police gave chase, and Styles reportedly struck a truck near Oak and Chester Pike but continued driving before turning onto a dead-end street in Sharon Hill.
There, Styles reportedly shot himself in the head. He was taken to the hospital where he later died.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- She Spent 10 Weeks In Liberia Fighting Ebola; A Philadelphia Doctor Shares Her Story Back Home
- As City Council Launches Budget Hearings, Nutter’s Tax Hike Plan For School Funding Appears On Life Support
- Study: Family Income And Parental Education Could Have An Impact On Child’s Brain Structure
- 1 Reportedly Dead In Darby Township House Fire
- Police: Teen Shot In Foot In West Philadelphia