Expert Shares Tips On Finding Lost Dogs Or Cats
By John McDevitt
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Animal shelters in the area continue to work on reuniting pets with their owners after many got lost when running off during summer storms or fireworks displays.
An expert shared a few tips on finding lost dogs or cats: “Filing a lost pet report with police, telling mail carriers, posting flyers and social media are popular ways in spreading the word about a lost pet,” says Justina Calgiano, the Director of Community Relations at Delaware County SPCA.
She urges microchips to be implanted in pets so the owners can see if the animals find themselves in a shelter or vets’ office.
“They scan over a lost pet and an ID number comes up connecting directly to their owner.”
Calgiano also says leaving an article of clothing of yours outdoors may help lost pets find their way home.
“Because sometimes these pets get out, they are not used to being out and they’re like ‘where am I’ as we all know dogs and cats have a much stronger smell than humans do, and that could really pick up and bring them back to their home hopefully.”
For more information, visit: www.delcospca.org
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Study: E-cigarette Use Rising Rapidly Among Teens
- Truck Carrying Human Waste Collides With Another Truck, Resulting In Fiery Crash In Lower Providence
- Child Injured In House Fire In North Philadelphia
- Two-Day Visit Of Pope Francis To Philadelphia Has Two-Fold Purpose
- Police Investigate Home Invasion In Tacony