By Bill Wine
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The number one movie at the box office remained the same at multiplexes over the weekend.
The science fiction sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, made it two weeks in a row in first place at the box office, earning an estimated $36-million — pushing it well past the $100-million mark on its second weekend of release.
The weekend’s three new mainstream releases claimed the next three spots.
The horror-thriller sequel, The Purge: Anarchy, placed second with $28-million. The animated sequel, Planes: Fire & Rescue, was third with $18-million. And the Cameron Diaz-Jason Segel comedy, Sex Tape, finished fourth with $15-million.
Overall, industry-wide totals continued to lag behind last year’s figures, although this weekend’s take was ever-so-slightly behind that of a year ago.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Tiger Woods Blames Medications For His Arrest On DUI Charge
- Weekend Box Office Report: ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ Takes Top Spot
- Gregg Allman Of The Allman Brothers Band Dies At Age 69
- Movie Review: ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’
- Private Service, Public Viewing For Cornell Planned Friday