By Bill Wine
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The number one movie at the box office remained the same at multiplexes over the weekend.
The science fiction sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, made it two weeks in a row in first place at the box office, earning an estimated $36-million — pushing it well past the $100-million mark on its second weekend of release.
The weekend’s three new mainstream releases claimed the next three spots.
The horror-thriller sequel, The Purge: Anarchy, placed second with $28-million. The animated sequel, Planes: Fire & Rescue, was third with $18-million. And the Cameron Diaz-Jason Segel comedy, Sex Tape, finished fourth with $15-million.
Overall, industry-wide totals continued to lag behind last year’s figures, although this weekend’s take was ever-so-slightly behind that of a year ago.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Select AMC Movie Theaters Showing ‘Get Out’ For Free On Presidents’ Day
- Weekend Box Office Report: ‘Black Panther’ Dominates Box Office Debut
- Fergie On National Anthem Blowback: ‘I’m A Risk Taker Artistically’
- Drake Touts Giveaways, Urges Fans To Do Something Nice, Too
- ‘It’s Not Even A Movie, It’s A Movement’: ‘Black Panther’ Fans Flock To Theater In Cherry Hill