By Bill Wine
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The number one movie at the box office remained the same at multiplexes over the weekend.
The science fiction sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, made it two weeks in a row in first place at the box office, earning an estimated $36-million — pushing it well past the $100-million mark on its second weekend of release.
The weekend’s three new mainstream releases claimed the next three spots.
The horror-thriller sequel, The Purge: Anarchy, placed second with $28-million. The animated sequel, Planes: Fire & Rescue, was third with $18-million. And the Cameron Diaz-Jason Segel comedy, Sex Tape, finished fourth with $15-million.
Overall, industry-wide totals continued to lag behind last year’s figures, although this weekend’s take was ever-so-slightly behind that of a year ago.
You may also be interested in these stories:
- Star Philly YouTube Couple Ends Videos And Relationship In Latest Post
- PA Man Pleads Guilty To Hacking Into Celebrity Accounts
- 15-Year-Old Hospice Patient Gets Surprise Visit From Florence + The Machine
- Weekend Box Office Report: ‘The Angry Birds Movie’ Flies To The Top
- Movie Review: ‘Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising’