WALDWICK, N.J. (AP) — Authorities are investigating a traffic accident that claimed the life of a police officer in northern New Jersey.
Authorities say 32-year-old Waldwick Patrolman Christopher Goodell was operating radar to look for speeders when a tractor-trailer rear-ended his unmarked patrol car early Thursday. The truck pushed the vehicle into a retaining wall.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says officials are trying to determine why the truck, driven by 28-year-old Ryan Cumberbatch of Brooklyn, New York, was in the shoulder of the road. He was not injured.
No charges have been filed.
Goodell was a five-year veteran of the force. He’s survived by his family and a fiancee.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Must Read Today’s Top Talkers:
- Cosby Jurors Ask Judge For Statements From Witness Who Accused Andrea Constand Of Framing Actor For Money
- Texas Man Sentenced To 50 Years In Prison For Stealing Over $1 Million Worth Of Fajitas
- Audi Issues Recall Of More Than 1 Million Cars Worldwide
- Seal Rescued After Being Caught Napping Near Amusement Park In Delaware
- Foreign Tick Found In New Jersey Could Pose Serious Threat To Humans