PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Joe Buck and Chase Utley. Talk about polar opposite perceptions in Philadelphia. However, during the FOX broadcast of the 2014 Major League Baseball All-Star game on Tuesday night, Buck might have won over a couple of Phillies fans.
When Utley stepped to the plate for his first at-bat of the game in the second inning, the play-by-play announcer showered the Phillies second baseman with compliments.
“Chase Utley, who battled injuries in 2010, 2011, and 2012, he’s back hoping to finish his career in a Philadelphia Phillies uniform,” Buck said. “Philly fans would love to see that as well. When this guy was rolling before the injuries set in—the knees really were wracked with injures—he was a must see player. A dynamic second baseman.”
Utley proceeded to rip an RBI double off-the-wall in right center, plating the first National League run. In the 4th inning, Utley was hit by a pitch and pinch-run for. As the late great Harry Kalas would say, “Chase Utley, you are the man.”
Highlights: AL Beats NL, 5-3
Check Out These Sports Stories:
- Phillies Plundered By Pirates In 5-4 Loss
- Rupp Says He’s OK Day After Being Hit In Head By Pitch
- Glasnow Exits Early, But Pirates Rally To Beat Phillies 7-4
- Zach Eflin Tosses Complete Game Shut Out, Phils Top Pirates 4-0
- Fantasy Football 2016: Top 10 Running Backs