By Jim Melwert
HOUSTON, Texas (CBS) — Tuesday is the final day of competition at the Transplant Games of America in Houston, with Team Philly hoping to defend its gold medal in basketball.
KYW’s Jim Melwert is at the games as a living kidney donor.
Team Philly never trailed as they held on to beat Kentucky to win back-to-back Transplant Game basketball titles. Alex Johnson got a liver when he was just 14-months-old, helped lead the team to the gold.
“It feels great, I try to say thank you to as many donor families as possible, even though I don’t know my donor family, I consider them family too,” Johnson said.
Carlton Corprew is a kidney recipient at his second games and is already calling for a three-peat in 2016.
“I love this, it’s an opportunity to show that transplants do work, barbeque while we’re out here, and just have a little fun,” Corprew said.
You may also be interested in:
- Notable Women Stand With Hillary Clinton On Historic Night
- Stephen Colbert Introduces The ‘Hilly Fanatic’ During DNC Show
- Ashley Judd Among Protesters In Philadelphia During DNC, Calls It ‘Poetic’ Experience
- Hillary Clinton Addresses DNC, Young Girls After Historic Nomination
- Police Detain Protesters, Several Attempt To Enter Secure Area Near DNC